Mens Tennis Forums banner

Well?

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here we go again, Rafa in 3 against his soon to be turkey to defend his first hardcourt title!

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
Murray has been playing better all week, against much tougher opponents- Baghdatis, Ferrer and Nalbandian as compared to Soeda and Giraldo for Nadal. But he has another doubles match to play today, so he'll probably be gassed. I hoping Murray can pull it out in straights.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Perfect conditions for Andy to beat Rafa, or anybody really. Andy in 3.

The match between them in Shanghai should be intresting as well. The court is slower lower bouncing.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I still can't believe Rafa's never successfully defended a title that wasn't on clay. With that said, there's a first time for everything, and despite the fact Murray's had a great last couple of weeks, I expect him to be put back in his place, and for Rafa to hold up the Tokyo trophy once again. Rafa in 2

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I just want this match to go 3 sets, not too fussed over who wins this one.

Interesting stat brought up by the OP, never realised the H2H between these two was so lopsided at 13-4, always thought it was a bit closer than that...

Reactions: Horatio Caine

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Andy in 3, but either way it should be close match. Rafa is playing really well on HC since USO, didn´t lost set here and against Fish didn´t faced single bp. On other side Andy apart from first match against Marcos is playing better and better and has great record by his own, i don´t now the numbers but has won many HC matches in last weeks starting in Cinci, than USO until SF, Bangkok and now he is in F in Tokyo. So hope Murray will proove he is better HC player and beat Rafa, but either way i expect tough match. I hope Murra´s 1st serve will show as advantage, his 1st serve when is clicking is much better than Rafa´s.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Andy has been playing better tennis but 1. he also played last week and 2. he chokes against Nadal. I'll still go him in 3, however....

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Murray has been playing better all week, against much tougher opponents- Baghdatis, Ferrer and Nalbandian as compared to Soeda and Giraldo for Nadal. But he has another doubles match to play today, so he'll probably be gassed. I hoping Murray can pull it out in straights.
Don't worry, doubles won't tire him out.

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
Interesting stat brought up by the OP, never realised the H2H between these two was so lopsided at 13-4, always thought it was a bit closer than that...
Yes, that was my thinking as well. Very surprising how one-sided it is, and Nadal certainly has even more of a mental edge having won their last 5 meetings. That being said, Murray was faced by unfavourable conditions in each of those matches - two on clay, one on Wimbledon grass, and two on ridiculously slow indoor and outdoor hard courts (London WTF and US Open).

As guga says, this venue offers Murray better conditions (but not 'perfect) to play Rafa, and certainly you can guarantee that he will fight from start to finish to try to beat him.

My gut says Murray, so this will be interesting.

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
Feels like Murray will betray tennis and allow Nadal to finally defend a HC title. Murray has played better during the week but that doesn't seem to matter when he faces Rafa. Murray needs to man up or he'll be Nadals bitch as badly as Nadal is Djoko's. Could be 0-6 in the last 6 meetings if he losses

·
Registered
653 Posts
Hoping Murray can pull it out. He's played better than Nadal this week so I'll predict Murray in 3.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Murray in three. He's faced tougher opponents this week. On the other hand, that might mean Nadal is fresher. At least this final will have a better crowd than Beijing has had the entire week combined :eek:

·
Registered
903 Posts
There's a first time for everything.

Murray to beat Rafa for the first time in 2011.

·
Registered
14,671 Posts
Nadal in 3.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Murray is in a lose-lose situation here.

If he loses, he will be 0-5 this year against Nadal and people will call him a choker

If he wins the title, it will just re-confirm how much of a choker he is in slams
That is why he must simply focus on the day and the task at hand tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts