Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who Would Win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
23,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Klizan is the epitome of not maximized potential, but the guy has 6 ATP titles (2 of them being ATP 500's) even if he's not ranked higher than World #24, although explained as he has an astonishingly poor record on Slams and Masters (mostly can't even reach the R32). He's 6-0 in the ATP Tour-level finals, although interestingly had lost 4 finals in the Challenger Tour...which makes his decision to play in the more often than he probably should, quite baffling. Meanwhile Thiem is trying to get his 1st indoor title where he last lost I think to Pouille in Metz 2016. Klizan hasn't beaten any Top 10 player in any of his finals, so this will show if he truly peaks in finals, or is he fortunate not to face players with more experience, and likely better consistency than he does.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Hope Thiem can win his first indoor title. He seems much better at this time of the year than last year, he is probably building on the confidence of his recent us open but obviously Klizan is a tough opponent. To my opinion, it is 50/50

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Thiem is currently playing better than either Shapovalov or Wawrinka, but Klizan is really the master of his own destiny here. The conditions are in his favour, and if he maintains his impressive form then he should be able to impose his game on Thiem. Dominic will need to stay focused and avoid trying to relieve the pressure by simply hitting harder.

·
Registered
57,596 Posts
Hope Thiem can get this, get himself to #7 in the race, and buy a tiny bit of breathing room. But Klizan will have his chances on HC if Thiem doesn't serve very well.

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
Klizan is unbeatable in finals unfortunately.

·
Registered
14,082 Posts
Klizan is the epitome of not maximized potential, but the guy has 6 ATP titles (2 of them being ATP 500's) even if he's not ranked higher than World #24, although explained as he has an astonishingly poor record on Slams and Masters (mostly can't even reach the R32). He's 6-0 in the ATP Tour-level finals, although interestingly had lost 4 finals in the Challenger Tour...which makes his decision to play in the more often than he probably should, quite baffling. Meanwhile Thiem is trying to get his 1st indoor title where he last lost I think to Pouille in Metz 2016. Klizan hasn't beaten any Top 10 player in any of his finals, so this will show if he truly peaks in finals, or is he fortunate not to face players with more experience, and likely better consistency than he does.
One match will never prove any of these things.

Regardless, Klizan in a final means Klizan is likely playing at his best.

And a well playing Klizan is unbeatable, I'm afraid.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thiem should win but I would not be surprised if Klizan pulled off an upset. Taking Wawrinka down was big. I actually thought this would be Stan’s first title post-comeback.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Why does it have to be this match-up? I'm a fan of both players so I want both of them to win and it can't happen :bigcry:

·
justice for all
13,117 Posts
I have mixed feelings here. Would love to see Dominic win and get his first indoor title - that would be so sweet.

But Klizan is a dangerous opponent who can peak on the big occasions like this one.

So I think it's a 50-50 match we've got here.

Go, Dominic!

·
Registered
14,082 Posts
Why did Klizan's odds drop so heavily? Some news about potential injury?

All of a sudden oddsmakers have Thiem as much bigger favorite than he was yesterday

1 - 12 of 12 Posts