• Med in 3

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If Fed is anything like he was in 2017 Shanghai, this is NID. But the 2018 Federer hasn't been as sharp and, it appears, he is not as motivated as well. Medvedev has just won his 3rd title of the year in Tokyo, beating the local favorite Nishikori. This match should tell us how motivated Fed is for the rest of the season!

My prediction: Fed in 2 tight sets, perhaps with a tie-breaker.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Federer's not having a great year since Rotterdam, really. Certainly since the loss to Del Potro back in Indian Wells. Medvedev to take this in three.

·
Premium Member
8,288 Posts
Federer in Laver Cup form takes this in 2 easy sets. But of course Shanghai is an irrelevant tournament for him and Laver Cup is his baby, I expect him to play crappy like he has done for most of the year, in which case he will be in trouble. I still say Federer will win but I wouldn't be surprised if Medvedev caused an upset.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I hope Fed shows his best version.

I actually like Medvedev tennistically, but his attitude in his first round match against Zhang was disgusting, getting in a verbal dispute with the crowd, then with the umpire and then getting mad and making fun of a ball kid.

And this is not the first time he's had some disgusting behaviour

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Interesting fact, Roger Federer travels alone to Shanghai as his wife apparently does not like the place. He probably plays more relaxed there.

Betting odds: 1.29 vs. 4.0, cannot remember in the last ten years seeing such odds for Roger Federer to win a second round match.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Interesting fact, Roger Federer travels alone to Shanghai as his wife apparently does not like the place. He probably plays more relaxed there.

Betting odds: 1.29 vs. 4.0, cannot remember in the last ten years seeing such odds for Roger Federer to win a second round match.
:grin2::grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
I hope Fed shows his best version.

I actually like Medvedev tennistically, but his attitude in his first round match against Zhang was disgusting, getting in a verbal dispute with the crowd, then with the umpire and then getting mad and making fun of a ball kid.

And this is not the first time he's had some disgusting behaviour
Ze Zhang, when he beat Richard Gasquet in Beijing was playing amazing, it's also the same player who played the doubles with Roger Federer and made a strong impression that day. Always thought he could reach the top 100 at some point.

Prediction on the match tomorrow: 6-4, 7-5.

·
Registered
15,229 Posts

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Medvedev is probably a little gassed from all the matches he played last week. I watched most of the final set he played and he wasn't that great, Zhang had his chances in that final set.

Still should be respected as he's been a winning machine lately.

Federer with a 7-6, 6-4 win feels right to me.

·
10,299 Posts
If it's Medvedev from the Tokyo final, then Med in 2.

If it's Lavercuperer then Federer in 2.

If it is both, then Medvedev in 3.

I still voted Medvedev in 2

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Don't forget that Roger has had issues adapting to the court in Shanghai in the past. If I remember correctly, he's said a couple of times that the bounce there takes some getting used to, and he's had some bad losses/close calls in the past 5 years (Ramos-Vinolas 2015, Mayer 2014, Monfils 2013). Medvedev is probably gassed, but if Roger is uncomfortable on court and Daniil plays like he did in Tokyo, it could easily be an upset.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts