Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
22,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its about to go down!!!

What a R1. Hopefully Chosen One gets through.

·
Registered
43 Posts
No thread about the result, nobody cares...Tsitsipas top 10, Hurcaz top 30. . I see a similar bias as in Djokovic case by the average tennis fan (Balkan..)

·
justice for all
19,329 Posts
OK, short resume for those who didn't watch.

Until 5-4 in set 1 Hurkacz played great, Stef was a bit under par but couldn't really do much. At 5-4 40-0 3 set points up Hurkacz choked badly lost his serve but then in the TB Stef was back to his error prone level and gifted it to Hubert. Hurkacz broke again at the start of the 2nd set and went up 2-0 and then Stef upped his game and outplayed Hurkacz completely taking 12 of the next 14 games. In the last set Hurkacz didn't really believe anymore he could win it.

Good win for Stef after the disappointing AO campaign, his first win in Rotterdam in 4th attempt (!). Hopefully this will bring him back on winning terms.

Bad loss for Hurkacz though who was the better player until 7-6, 2-0 but then lost it completely and looked like a futures mug again.

·
God loves a trier
5,279 Posts
OK, short resume for those who didn't watch.

Until 5-4 in set 1 Hurkacz played great, Stef was a bit under par but couldn't really do much. At 5-4 40-0 3 set points up Hurkacz choked badly lost his serve but then in the TB Stef was back to his error prone level and gifted it to Hubert. Hurkacz broke again at the start of the 2nd set and went up 2-0 and then Stef upped his game and outplayed Hurkacz completely taking 12 of the next 14 games. In the last set Hurkacz didn't really believe anymore he could win it.

Good win for Stef after the disappointing AO campaign, his first win in Rotterdam in 4th attempt (!). Hopefully this will bring him back on winning terms.

Bad loss for Hurkacz though who was the better player until 7-6, 2-0 but then lost it completely and looked like a futures mug again.
Great summary.

Is it just me, or does Hurkacz play very straight, towards the middle of the court? You rarely see him go for the lines or create short angles. The contrast with Tsitsipas was very pronounced: Stefanos was always looking to pull Hurkacz wide.

·
justice for all
19,329 Posts
Great summary.

Is it just me, or does Hurkacz play very straight, towards the middle of the court? You rarely see him go for the lines or create short angles. The contrast with Tsitsipas was very pronounced: Stefanos was always looking to pull Hurkacz wide.
I think he does indeed. He's also very streaky. It must be somehow related to confidence. When his shots go in, like in set 1 until 5-4 40-0 he goes for DTL aggressive BH-s and they land in. Then when he misses a few of them he starts to play more passive short balls into the middle of the court with not much pace in it both off FH and BH. And he's usually unable to regroup and look for plan B when aggressive tennis doesn't work anymore.
I'm not his big fan but as he's my compatriot would be really nice if he became a TOP10 - TOP5 player. But being very honest with you - I can't see him going that high in the ranking. I hope I'm wrong, we'll see.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I think he does indeed. He's also very streaky. It must be somehow related to confidence. When his shots go in, like in set 1 until 5-4 40-0 he goes for DTL aggressive BH-s and they land in. Then when he misses a few of them he starts to play more passive short balls into the middle of the court with not much pace in it both off FH and BH. And he's usually unable to regroup and look for plan B when aggressive tennis doesn't work anymore.
I'm not his big fan but as he's my compatriot would be really nice if he became a TOP10 - TOP5 player. But being very honest with you - I can't see him going that high in the ranking. I hope I'm wrong, we'll see.
Who did you cheer for here ? I reckon a good future for the Polish, as I see his game "poison" for next genners

·
justice for all
19,329 Posts
Who did you cheer for here ? I reckon a good future for the Polish, as I see his game "poison" for next genners
I think I was more or less indifferent in this one. Like: „whoever wins I’m OK”.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts