Mens Tennis Forums banner

WWW?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gael Monfils and Felix Auger-Aliassime are interesting rivals who always try to show not only high-quality, but also beautiful tennis. The public simply adores when these opponents cross racquets to determine who is the best athlete to date.

Who will win? (y)

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Of course I'm rooting for Monfils and I actually think he wins this but I wouldn't begrudge FAA winning his first title.

Kinda funny how the draw opened up for Monfils to retain most of the points from last year.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Felix needs to keep serving like he has all tournament and cut down on the unforced errors a little bit. If he does, he'll have his chances for sure. Monfils looked to be winded against Krajinovic which is totally understandable after the amount of tennis he's played the last 2 weeks. I'm just hoping for a great final and I'm not too worried about the result...at this point, I'm just thrilled with how Felix's game is progressing. I voted for Felix in 3 but wouldn't be surprised if Monfils makes Felix hit extra balls and too many UEs.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Monfils in two, no disrespect to FAA but I watched Gaël defending at peak levels against a good shotmaker like Filip and if he continues that and his masterful serving tomorrow FAA will self implode from frustration.

·
Banned
3,346 Posts
Monfils in 2. Monfils tends to be a bad matchup for young players as they aren’t quite sure how to play Monfils due to his defense and sudden offense.

·
Registered
14,444 Posts
It's hard for me to see a path to victory here for FAA if Monfils continue to play as he has for the past two weeks. There's just no way he can hit through Monfils on this slow court from the baseline and he doesn't approach the net enough at this point in his career (nor is he especially successful when he does) to end points quickly.

Still, I think he's at least got a shot if he serves well and it should help his mentality that he's going in as the significant underdog for this one unlike his other three finals to this point.

·
Registered
9,036 Posts
No sense of who takes this but what a juicy match!
Felix was still coughing a bit today but didn't seem to be sick.

Go Felix!

·
God loves a trier
4,828 Posts
Felix in 2. His serving was outstanding today and he can easily match Monfils in rallies. Monfils very good today but leggy near the end.

Young gun to prevail.

·
Registered
22,665 Posts
Monfils in 2 unless FAA sneaks the tiebreaks.

Monfils too stable of now for FAA.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Monfils in 2 relatively-routine sets

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
Felix's only chance in this final is if he continues to serve out of his mind and if Monfils is off a step. I think he was pretty poor on return/baseline against Carreno-Busta, so he will need to get it done in TBs. Monfils is too solid right now, he should take it.

·
Registered
703 Posts
been a while since we had 2 black dudes in the final, think the last one was Monfils/Tsonga in 2012. (well Jo and Felix are half black)

anyhoo, rooting for Felix, but see Gael in 2.

·
Registered
7,884 Posts
Court conditions appear to favor the Frenchman who seems to b very comfortabIe dictating pace & rhythm. UnIess FAA drasticaIy reduces his overhitting & serves Iights out, a very taII order for less experienced youngster but battIing for 3 sets would indicate great progress. Take your meds & rest up for the battIe, kid.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Hi Felix, Pospisil here, hope you're reading this thread because I have a recommendation for you for the final : Maple Fucking Syrup. That's all you need to know.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Monfils is in great form, it is going to be tough for Felix to clinch his first title here, but the good point for him is that he has nothing to lose, so he should not feel any extra pressure.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts