·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who´s gonna take this one?

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
If Gilles is injured Klizan should take this in 3 or 4.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If Gilles is injured Klizan should take this in 3 or 4.
He´s not 100% fit, that much is pretty clear. Still good enough to push pretty dangerously though. I absolutely don´t know what to expect here.

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
Klizan in 4

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, Klizan´s best bet to win this is to take this match to the distance. Pouille was really bad and couldn´t do so today. Klizan in 5 seems reasonable.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Gilles in 4. He looked fine today once he'd shaken off the rust (he's played 1 and a half matches in 4 weeks). Another day of treatment and recovery and not a taxing match today by Gilles standards.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Based on the interviews.. Klizan is satisfied with his game, no mentions about the injury at all. Said that he watched Simon train and that he looked absolutely fine. Even Simon said that he was feeling just fine today. So yeah, Simon might not be in his best form ever but he´s definitely gonna put on a fight behind the home crowd. Such a shame that Pouille didn´t convert one of those 3 BPs at the start of the 2nd set, it went all downhill for him after that. That would be much more preferrable opponent for Klizan. Playing Gulbis/Mahut in R3 makes this match that much more important.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
I still think Simon finds a way in 5

·
Registered
19,517 Posts
Klizan to pull off a victory in 4, he's got the game for it.

·
Bring it Home
20,650 Posts
Klizan should win this.

How Pouille managed to lose to an injured Simon btw? :lol:

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Klizan should win this.

How Pouille managed to lose to an injured Simon btw? :lol:
Pouille was awful after he missed that 0-40 chance to break Simon at the start of the 2nd. He kinda collapsed mentally after that, some serious selfdestruction was happening. That said, Simon didn´t look that injured. He´s not the player whose game is based on a power, he still has the healthy legs to move well and push to the limits, getting those balls back. Klizan is gonna have his hands full with him as well. He will have to construct the points and finish them off really well to win this. Not gonna be easy.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Simon to take out the trash in 5 easy sets, 4-6 7-6 7-5 6-7 6-4 4hr 57m.

·
Registered
22,210 Posts
Simon was not injured today, he even was quite good after a rusty first set, barely made an unforced error after that. A remarkable recovery since he said he couldn't even serve and return two days ago, yes.

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Injured or not, I think Simon is still bad match-up for Klizan. He will need tons of patience against him.

To beat guy like Simon you have to keep high level of aggression and limit cheap errors to minimum. I'm not so sure if Klizan can do that on BO5 distance.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
I'm finding this one of the more interesting match ups tomorrow. Will Klizan be able to just overpower Simon and will it be enough to win the match or will Simon make Klizan play that one shot too many which brings the errors?

Then there's the whole backstory with the recent injuries as Klizan has struggled with that right wrist injury (even though his strengths are with the left) and Simon is obviously not 100% fit.

I think a lot will just come down to who is more confident on the day but I'm leaning towards Simon in 4.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
is Simon fit enough? That's the big question here. If he isn't badly injured he can push balls back to Klizan and just wait for UEs to come, easy but working gameplan against Klizan.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
is Simon fit enough? That's the big question here. If he isn't badly injured he can push balls back to Klizan and just wait for UEs to come, easy but working gameplan against Klizan.
It depends.. Sometimes it works well against him, sometimes not so much. Klizan is very unpredictable but by no means does the pushing guarantee the win vs him. That´s probably the best possible approach that Simon can take tomorrow though. I surely expect him to push heavily, but only God knows what happens..

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It depends.. Sometimes it works well against him, sometimes not so much. Klizan is very unpredictable but by no means does the pushing guarantee the win vs him. That´s probably the best possible approach that Simon can take tomorrow. I surely expect him to push heavily, but only god knows what happens at the end. Already nervous as hell. Match of the year for Klizan, because there is an opening in next rounds as well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts