Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Jannik Sinner

Votes: 4 25.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a fucking joke of a draw. 2 of my favourite players. The only guy from my country vs the young talented Italian.
They met earlier this year in Rotterdam and Jannik had won.
Anyhow, David is supposed to be a much better clay player than Jannik but David only played in Rome where he easily lost to Cilic, not really a good reference, he also got married between the US Open and RG.
If David can win this one, he should then be able to reach the last 16 and probably meet A Zverev.

·
Registered
11,859 Posts
Goffin to win, he has the experience and the better physical condition. Sinner can only in in straight sets I'm afraid.

·
justice for all
16,252 Posts
Interesting matchup and yeah quite heavy for R1. Both seem to be out of form currently tough. My bet would still be on Goffin due to his experience.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I hope the 19 YO wins, but I think david takes this in 5.

·
Registered
17,837 Posts
Wtf? Why does Sinner always get shit draws?! Insane

·
Registered
294 Posts
he also got married between the US Open and RG.
I thought his marriage has been postponed until next year. 😉

La crise du Covid-19 aura perturbé l’année sportive 2020 de David Goffin mais aussi sa vie privée. Et pas qu’un peu. Suite au nouveau calendrier annoncé par l’ATP en juin avec Roland-Garros prévu à partir du 27 septembre, le Liégeois avait fixé la date du samedi 19 septembre dans son agenda pour dire oui et passer la bague au doigt de sa compagne Stéphanie Tuccitto.
Mais la pandémie et la situation sanitaire en France où quasiment tout le pays est en zone orange ou rouge rendent difficile la tenue d’un tel événement. C’est donc logiquement que le onzième joueur mondial et sa compagne ont décidé de reporter le mariage à l’année prochaine pour pouvoir l’organiser normalement.
Source

Reactions: devision2002

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I thought his marriage has been postponed until next year. 😉

La crise du Covid-19 aura perturbé l’année sportive 2020 de David Goffin mais aussi sa vie privée. Et pas qu’un peu. Suite au nouveau calendrier annoncé par l’ATP en juin avec Roland-Garros prévu à partir du 27 septembre, le Liégeois avait fixé la date du samedi 19 septembre dans son agenda pour dire oui et passer la bague au doigt de sa compagne Stéphanie Tuccitto.
Mais la pandémie et la situation sanitaire en France où quasiment tout le pays est en zone orange ou rouge rendent difficile la tenue d’un tel événement. C’est donc logiquement que le onzième joueur mondial et sa compagne ont décidé de reporter le mariage à l’année prochaine pour pouvoir l’organiser normalement.
Source
They way it's written it seems they still got legally married but are just postponing the ceremony.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I dont see that Sinner has much of a chance, too lightweight, could be a decent match. Im really hoping I get to see Goffin vs Ruusuvuori in R2

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This match received the honour to start the main draw of RG 2020 on the centre court. With all the rain announced for tomorrow, it might be the first match played with a roof in the history of RG.
After his heavy defeat in Rome against Cilic, David had a 5 days intensive training on clay before arriving in Paris, and said he is ready for a long battle against Jannik.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Wtf? Why does Sinner always get shit draws?! Insane
I agree that drawing Wawrinka, Khachanov, and Goffin in the first round of 3 of your first 4 slams is tough, but if the world #74 wants to avoid these kinds of draws, he needs to improve his ranking so he can be seeded. At the moment, he isn't getting results at the Slams or regular tour events to warrant the reaction that he's so unlucky, because he hasn't really won anything anywhere.

·
Registered
17,837 Posts
I agree that drawing Wawrinka, Khachanov, and Goffin in the first round of 3 of your first 4 slams is tough, but if the world #74 wants to avoid these kinds of draws, he needs to improve his ranking so he can be seeded. At the moment, he isn't getting results at the Slams or regular tour events to warrant the reaction that he's so unlucky, because he hasn't really won anything anywhere.
Don‘t be stupid, there are hardly any tournaments right now, and #74 or not those are unlucky and unlikely draws.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Don‘t be stupid, there are hardly any tournaments right now, and #74 or not those are unlucky and unlikely draws.
Dude, you were the one who claimed he would be Top 10 by the end of the year. Yes, there are no tournaments but his record for the year is still 7-11, hardly setting the world alight. He also hasn't made a single QF this year. Yes, he's had a series of bad draws in GS but it's hard to feel bad for the kid when he can barely win matches.

·
Registered
17,837 Posts
Dude, you were the one who claimed he would be Top 10 by the end of the year. Yes, there are no tournaments but his record for the year is still 7-11, hardly setting the world alight. He also hasn't made a single QF this year. Yes, he's had a series of bad draws in GS but it's hard to feel bad for the kid when he can barely win matches.
He‘s barely won matches because he barely had a chance to and kept running into horror draws, are you dense or slow?

·
Registered
711 Posts
He‘s barely won matches because he barely had a chance to and kept running into horror draws, are you dense or slow?
Lol. The sheer horror of having to face Caurso, Djere, Kudla, and Ymer.

It's fine to admit the kid is not yet ready.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts