Mens Tennis Forums banner

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another fairly strong clay meeting in SA, should be a very entertaining week. The Dominator has Clayhinato in his half and could also meet Sousa in the way.

Top Half:

Thiem D. (1)
Djere L.

Seyboth Wild T. (WC)
Daniel T.

Ruud C. (Q)
Andujar-Alba P.

Pella G.
Sousa J. (5)

Cecchinato M. (3)
Bedene A.

Sousa P.
Monteiro T. (WC)

Andreozzi G.
Dellien H. (Q)

Carballes Baena R.
Jarry N. (8)

Bottom Half:

Jaziri M. (7)
Delbonis F.

Sonego L.
Ramos A.

Ymer E. (Q)
Londero J. I. (Q)

Cuevas P.
Schwartzman D. (4)

Lajovic D. (6)
Norrie C.

Munar J.
Mayer L.

Garin Ch.
Marterer M.

Auger-Aliassime F. (WC)
Fognini F. (2)

·
Registered
990 Posts
I picked Cecchinato last week so hopefully predicting an Italian to win it works again, only this time I'm going with Fognini to win, if he doesn't then he should at least reach the SF otherwise it's a shameful tournament for him with that draw.

·
Your visions will happen
47,121 Posts
Lots of points and money at stake here, hope those guys that need it the most get it

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
Honestly I could see Cecchinato win this too, unless Thiem gains some form. He shouldn't be tired at all from last week and the draw is pretty good. DC Schwartzman will probably lose in R1 against Cuevas who plays very similar to Cecchinato.

·
Registered
21,272 Posts
Pretty weak field. But that’s how Rio tends to be most of the time. Of course no surprise Thiem is here, just Thiem doing what he does best to inflate his ranking by vulturing this MMs

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Pretty weak field. But that’s how Rio tends to be most of the time. Of course no surprise Thiem is here, just Thiem doing what he does best to inflate his ranking by vulturing this MMs
Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but I'll take the bait anyways ?
250/500 tournaments only make up about 20% of Thiem's live ranking points, which is less than that of the three players ranked directly above him(Federer, Nishikori and Anderson)

·
Registered
21,272 Posts
Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but I'll take the bait anyways ?
250/500 tournaments only make up about 20% of Thiem's live ranking points, which is less than that of the three players ranked directly above him(Federer, Nishikori and Anderson)
He played 25 tournaments last year iirc

And to clarify I was specially referring to the clay MMs, which I didn’t in my post earlier my bad, since that’s the only surface he’s great at. And he won 2 of those last year, Buenos Aires and Lyon. He also played Rio and Kitzhubel, which he lost granted.

With said, I don’t blame him at all for playing all of this clay tournaments. It’s his best surface after all and he’s a claybot. Has to maximise whatever he can on that surface

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I have to admit that Cecchinato impressed me a lot last week and he did not spend much time on the courts in BA, so I would go for him again.

But of course, I hope that Thiem can improve his level and clinch the title.
Otherwise, I also hope that Jarry and Fognini can avoid 3 first round defeats in a row in this South American swing, that would be embarrassing for them.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Almost all seeds are dumped out now. Lol. This tournaments have a really taken the crap since many top level clay courters retired.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
To make things worse, the two biggest names (both past champions here) left in the draw are playing each other in R1 :lol:

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
The draw is now really open, even Cecchinato was not able to completely focus on his first round match yesterday, but Bedene played really well.
I would not be surprised to have semi final between Djere (or Sousa) against Bedene and then Delbonis (or Cuevas) against Munar

1 - 18 of 18 Posts