Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there !

As a French, I am sad about the current state of the French tennis since it is the end of a golden generation : Tsonga, Simon (36), Monfils, Gasquet (35) who are likely to retire in 2021/2022 with only Monfils probably still playing after 2022.
Then we have Chardy (34), Mannarino (almost 33), Paire (32), Herbert (30), Pouille (27), Humbert (almost 23) and Moutet (22) among the Top 100.
With Pouille unfortunately injured for so long and on a long way to get his level back, we only have Humbert, Moutet within the Top 100 under 30 years of age.
We will probably add soon Rinderknech (26), Bonzi (25) and perhaps Gaston (20) in this list but I don't think any of them can reach the Top 10/20 someday. I think only Humbert has the ability to do it but his level on clay might be a hindrance towards this goal.

Anyway, I don't want to talk about current French players unless I want headache but to talk about what lies ahead, our next generation of players.

Today were played the QF of RG Juniors with 4 French players in quarter-finals. All of them won.

Hence tomorrow we will have :

Sean Cuenin (9) vs Luca Van Assche (13), both born in 2004. They played the doubles together.
Arthur Fils (14) vs Giovanni Mpetshi Perricard (5), with Fils born in 2004 and Mpetshi in 2003. They play the doubles together and they also are in the SF in this draw. They know each other since they are 9/10 yo.

Here are a few facts about every one of them :

Sean Cuenin : He was the best of the 2004-gen from 2017 to 2019 I would say, even if he lost to Van Assche in the Final to become U14 French Champion in 2018. It will be a remake between these two friends.
Regarding his game, I would say Sean is pretty complete, accurate and solid, especially with the forehand where he can produce a lot of power and going for winners. I think he is around 186cms. He is quite stable and has done the job well until today. I will follow his next match with attention.

Some wins on the Future tour this year for Sean :
Y.Chung (ranked 390), Weis (660), Dussin (810), Moeller (615), Freund (690).
He also lost to Mpetshi Perrricard two months ago in a G1 Final in Spain (2-6 3-6).

Luca Van Assche : He is a good surprise for me. With his relatively small size, he does not have the firepower of his three teammates here but he can do a lot of things with the ball : not many mistakes, showing intelligence on court, playing with angles and touch and he seems to have a good stamina (and defines himself as such). I hope he will develop and gain a few cms and kilos, it would naturally help him. At this stage, he looks like a junior version of Schwartzman (not sure how Diego was good in juniors though) to me but taller (around 176cms I think). I heard in an interview he tries to inspire from Diego due to similar sizes and styles in their games.
He lost to Laaksonen 7-5 6-3 in the 1st round of Qualies and I found him really good in that match. Laaksonen was not laughing during this one and he won 4 other matches in this tournament after he beat Luca.

Some wins on the Future tour this year for Luca:
Lopez Montagud (710), Forejtek (320), Virtanen (535), Araujo (900), Shevchenko (530), Perchicot (505)
He also lost to rising Swiss future star Dominic Stricker in February 6-2 3-6 6-7(5).

Arthur Fils : He is the one who impresses me the most and the more complete from my opinion. He played the Qualies here and beat Tomic in 3 sets in the 1st round. Arthur won the Orange Bowl in December and I think this step made him understand he had the abilities to be where he stands now. I think his match against Cuenin (3rd round, RG 2020) where he lost 6-1 6-3 is far away from now on and he is a different player since then.
Arthur is powerful, strong, reliable on both sides, attacking the ball whenever he can, going for rockets with the forehand. You could clearly saw that his opponent was on the back foot today because of too much power from Arthur. Plus mentally he seems to be there as you could see it against Tomic (#213) who is not well-known for being a killer mentally-wise I reckon with a win 6-7 (3) 7-6 (1) 6-3. Arthur is the younger one (turning 17 the 12th June) of these 4.

Some wins on the Future tour this year for Arthur :
Kodat (770), Eriksson (370), Lopez Montagud (710), Vivero Gonzalez (390), Sanchez Jover (565), Brancaccio (325), Lopez San Martin (475), Kravchenko (500)
He also lost to Mpetshi Perrricard two months ago in the G1 in Spain, in SF (0-6 5-7).

Giovanni Mpetshi Perricard :

Giovanni is 200cm. He is tall and has a one handed backhand which is not usual for a guy of this size. He is more a player who plays from the baseline which is funny. He is strong and powerful as well. It should be a nice match vs his super friend Fils considering the power of these two. However Giovanni should win more free points with his serve and he will need it to boost his level/ranking. Still, you can see that he has what is needed to succeed : a nice combo good serve + powerful forehand. He just dismantled his two last opponents to get here in the SF.

Some wins on the Future/Challenger tour for Giovanni :
Menezes (210), Bellier (515), Durasovic (370), Kirkin (405), Faria (800), Tajima (660)

Its is funny because a month ago, when Arthur Cazaux (2002) beat Korda in Madrid Qualies, I said that :"Cazaux is a big French prospect, that is fore sure. Him, his friend Mayot and a few others born after 2002 : Mpetshi Perricard (2003) Fils, Cuenin and Van Assche (2004) are a bit younger but might be intriguing to see in the future."

And now, the 4 of them are in the SF.

Who do you think will take the whole thing ? Who do you think is the best at this early stage of their career if you may have seen them play ?

I know it is early to say something about them since they are still young and not completely developed in all aspects. And when you look at Alcaraz ( ranked #75), Rune (# 230) who are from 2003 and who could possibly be here if they wanted, there is still room for improvement for all our frenchies and all the players at this age and even a bit older to grow up serenely. They have the first steps to overcome, going from Juniors to Futures and then from Futures to Challengers. And it won't be an easy, the Tour is a jungle.

Good luck to them for the future !

·
Registered
21,451 Posts
Fils is a monster.

I‘ll pick him to win and be a huge player on the ATP circuit.

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
Hi there !

As a French, I am sad about the current state of the French tennis since it is the end of a golden generation (Tsonga, Simon (36), Monfils, Gasquet (35)) who are likely to retire in 2021/2022 with only Monfils probably playing after 2022.
Then we have Chardy (34), Mannarino (almost 33), Paire (32), Herbert (30), Pouille (27), Humbert (almost 23) and Moutet (22) among the Top 100.

Thanks for the very nice overview. I've seen a few of the younger players play a match or 2 but not more than that so I want to hold off on significant judgements on them specifically for the time being especially because for me, it has long been the mental preparation and outlook which has been particularly problematic in France.

France has never lacked talent in its tennis ranks but I am interested to see if things are going to be changing in terms of coaching emphasis and such as has been suggested in recent years. I thought Simon had some good points in his criticisms of some of the emphasis on style over results and mentality and it's something Caroline Garcia brought up again in an interview on French TV at RG again just last week. It does seem like it's finally becoming a more mainstream idea but if you have any thoughts on that, I'd be curious to hear them as well.

·
Moderator | PreviewBot
14,104 Posts
Hi there !

As a French, I am sad about the current state of the French tennis since it is the end of a golden generation : Tsonga, Simon (36), Monfils, Gasquet (35) who are likely to retire in 2021/2022 with only Monfils probably playing after 2022.
With Pouille unfortunately injured for so long and on a long way to get his level back, we only have Humbert, Moutet within the Top 100 under 30 years of age.
We will probably add soon Rinderknech (26), Bonzi (25) and perhaps Gaston (20) in this list but I don't think any of them can reach the Top 10/20 someday. I think only Humbert has the ability to do it but his level on clay might be a hindrance towards this goal.

Anyway, I don't want to talk about current French players unless I want headache but I want to talk about what lies ahead, our next generation of players.

Today were played the QF of RG Juniors with 4 French players in each quarterfinal. All of them won. All of them are friends

Hence tomorrow we will have :

Sean Cuenin (9) vs Luca Van Assche (13), both born in 2004. They played the doubles together.
Arthur Fils (14) vs Giovanni Mpetshi Perricard (5), with Fils born in 2004 and Mpetshi in 2003. They play the doubles together and they also are in the SF in this draw.

Here are a few facts about every one of them :

Sean Cuenin : He was the best of the 2004-gen from 2017 to 2019 I would say. Even if he lost to Van Assche in the Final to be U14 French Champ in 2018. It will be a remake between the two friends.
Regarding his game, I would say Sean is pretty complete, accurate and solid at his age. I think he is around 187cms. I can't say he impresses me a lot but he is quite stable and has done the job until today. I will follow his next match with attention.

A few wins on the Future circuit this year :
Y.Chung (ranked 390), Weis (660), Dussin (810), Moeller (615), Freund (690).
He also lost to Mpetshi Perrricard two months ago in a G1 Final in Spain (2-6 3-6).

Luca Van Assche : He is a good surprise for me. With his small size, he does not have the firepower of his three teammates here but he can do a lot of things with the ball : not many mistakes, intelligence on court, playing with angles and touch, seems to have a good stamina (and defines himself as someone who has some). I hope he will develop and gain a few cms and kilos. At this stage, he looks like a junior version of Schwartzman (not sure how Diego was good in juniors though) to me. I heard in an interview he tries to inspire from Diego due to similar sizes and styles in their games.
He lost to Laaksonen 7-5 6-3 in. the 1st round of Qualies and I found him really good. Laaksonen was not laughing during this match and he won 4 other in this RG after he beat Luca.

Lopez Montagud (710), Forejtek (320), Virtanen (535), Araujo (900), Shevchenko (530), Perchicot (505)
He also lost to rising Swiss future star Dominic Stricker in February 6-2 3-6 6-7(5).

Arthur Fils : He is the one who impresses me the most. He played the Qualies here and beat Tomic in 3 sets in the 1st round. Arthur won the Orange Bowl in December and I think this step made him understand he has the abilities to be where he stands now and higher. I think this match against Cuenin (3rd round, RG 2020) where he lost 6-1 6-3 is far away from now on.
Arthur is powerful, strong, reliable on both sides, attacking the ball whenever he can. You could clearly saw that his opponent was on the back foot today because of too much power from Arthur. I think he is the one of these 4 who is the more complete at this stage. And the mental aspect goes with that, you could see it against Tomic -who is not well-known for being a killer I reckon-. Arthur is the younger one (turning 17 in two days) of these 4.

Kodat (770), Eriksson (370), Lopez Montagud (710), Vivero Gonzalez (390), Sanchez Jover (565), Brancaccio (325), Lopez San Martin (475), Kravchenko (500)
He also lost to Mpetshi Perrricard two months ago in the G1 in Spain, in SF (0-6 5-7).

Giovanni Mpetshi Perricard :

Giovanni is 200cm. He is tall and has a one handed backhand which is not usual for a guy of this size. He is more a player who plays from the baseline which is funny. He is strong and powerful as well but he could win more free points with his serve and he needs to be a bit more stable but you can see he has what needed to play above. He just dismantled his two last opponents to get here in the SF.

A few wins on the circuit :
Menezes (210), Bellier (515), Durasovic (370), Kirkin (405), Faria (800), Tajima (660)

Its is funny because a month ago, when Arthur Cazaux (2002) beat Korda in Madrid Qualies, I said that :"Cazaux is a big French prospect, that is fore sure. Him, his friend Mayot and a few others born after 2002 : Mpetshi Perricard (2003) Fils, Cuenin and Van Assche (2004) are a bit younger but might be intriguing to see in the future."

And now, the 4 of them are in the SF.

Who do you think will take the whole thing ? Who do you think is the best at this early stage of their career if you may have seen them play ?

I know it is early to say something about them since they are still young and not completely developed in all aspects. And when you look at Alcaraz, Rune who are from 2003, there is still room for improvement for all our frenchies and all the players at this age and even older. They have the first step to overcome, going from Futures to Challengers and it won't be an easy one.

Good luck to them for the future !
Great info. Only know Fils and Perricard(winner i think) but happy for you as French to have 4 through. Enjoy

·
Moderator | PreviewBot
14,104 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
I didn't see it, getting other things done so I can watch the Men's SF later

Seems lot's of teams are facing each other in singles beyond the 3rd round and still alive in the doubles this tournament

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I think Fils will get the title but it will be interesting to see to what extent Van Assche can cause him problems

·
Registered
161 Posts
Will Fils be a talent like Monfils? Only time will tell. Live to see Grand slam junior prospects do well on the pro tour.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts