• Shapovalov of Canada

Votes: 11 78.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I crazy in thinking the old fox might have a chance here? Simon isnt in good form and Shapo is. Shapo did well in Rome, but conditions were seemingly adventagous for big hitting there. In Paris the balls are heavy and its gonna be wet and generally slow conditions. I can envision a pushing master class from Simon with him forcing about 100 UEs from Shapovalov to win in easy 5 sets.

·
Registered
16,664 Posts
Shapo in 4, Simon is really a shadow of his former self.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Am I crazy in thinking the old fox might have a chance here? Simon isnt in good form and Shapo is. Shapo did well in Rome, but conditions were seemingly adventagous for big hitting there. In Paris the balls are heavy and its gonna be wet and generally slow conditions. I can envision a pushing master class from Simon with him forcing about 100 UEs from Shapovalov to win in easy 5 sets.
Yes, you are craZy.

·
Registered
29,199 Posts
A nice opportunity for Shapo to show off his newfound maturity. He will have to control his aggression to win this one and I think he will.

Reactions: Sparlingo

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I hope Shapovalov wins. I think he has a great chance to beat Tsitsipas and Rublev (assuming they don't lose earlier). I would like to see Shapovalov in the semis.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Based on current form - Shapo.But it is Simon,after all,he can bore u to hell

·
Registered
68,049 Posts
Shapo takes this

·
justice for all
15,106 Posts
Simon is sometimes unpredictable but he's been shyte since very long.

Not sure how this slower and dumper surface and heavier balls will suit Denis but he should still take it in 3 max 4 sets.

Come on!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Denis in 4, I think he will have 1 really bad set but the other 3 will be straight forward.

·
Registered
9,244 Posts
Shapo with his explosiveness and extra time to set up his uuuuge shots should take this. Under lighter conditions, I'd give Simon a higher chance, since he can be frustrating as heck, and we all know it doesn't take a whole lot to frustrate the Canadian rapper. It's still non zero, of course, but as things currently are, Denis will have only himself to blame if he doesn't win convincingly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I can see Simon taking a set, but nothing more. Shapovalov has demonstrated consistent improvement under Youzhny to reach the Top 10; this is another good stepping stone match for him to demonstrate his newfound skills.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
The weather conditions and the style of play of Gilles Simon might suggest a possible upset here. But the real question is : how fit is Simon right now ? He has been struggling physically the last couple of weeks and without his biggest weapon, he can't be a threat.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
The weather conditions and the style of play of Gilles Simon might suggest a possible upset here. But the real question is : how fit is Simon right now ? He has been struggling physically the last couple of weeks and without his biggest weapon, he can't be a threat.
I think there's fat chance of an upset. Gilles Simon is a walking zombie at this point. He flipped the switch from being an ambitious tennis player to a cheque collector a while ago.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Shapo with his explosiveness and extra time to set up his uuuuge shots should take this. Under lighter conditions, I'd give Simon a higher chance, since he can be frustrating as heck, and we all know it doesn't take a whole lot to frustrate the Canadian rapper. It's still non zero, of course, but as things currently are, Denis will have only himself to blame if he doesn't win convincingly.
He's never played a full set vs Simon (Simon retired when they met in Paris Masters last year). From what I know Simon is not in form but the slow, extra heavy conditions makes it difficult to say how it suits them. I'll go with your take that Denis will have plenty of time to set up big shots, but Simon has a lot of experience and 14 titles in his bag. Plus he's on home turf and may rise to the occasion. I'm always more worried when everyone says Shapo will win easily...

·
Registered
9,244 Posts
He's never played a full set vs Simon (Simon retired when they met in Paris Masters last year). From what I know Simon is not in form but the slow, extra heavy conditions makes it difficult to say how it suits them. I'll go with your take that Denis will have plenty of time to set up big shots, but Simon has a lot of experience and 14 titles in his bag. Plus he's on home turf and may rise to the occasion. I'm always more worried when everyone says Shapo will win easily...
I'll never say he wins easily. Aside from my personal distaste for predictions, he's just too inconsistent to be a heavy favorite against someone who's so experienced and patient as Simon. All I am saying is that he should win rather easily based on their respective game characteristics and current form. But that's far from certainty. In fact, the 50% that I gave him against the field last year, has increased only slightly this year. A bigger sample size is needed.

·
Registered
631 Posts
No, you didn't say he would win easily but that he should. I agree with that and your general reasoning. I'm just the worrying kind.:unsure:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts