• De Schepper in 3

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tough start of the tournament for Ernests, he got one of the toughest rivals he could face. It will be a great test for the Lativan. He said the other day that he wants to keep his good streak without letdowns, that he is addicted to succeed. His great and improved serve should help him to perform well on grass, but I think that in the first moments of the match he can struggle a little bit with his baseline play. I mean, Gulbis forehand motion is not fast (that's why he likes clay, he has enough time to deal with high balls finding a good position and extending his right arm to execute the forehand) and the speed of grass can be a trouble in the very first points. He will need to make that readjustement so I do not expect him winning comfortably. In addition, he played A LOT of matches in the last weeks, he doesn't take a week off since the end of Barcelona (he played in Madrid, Rome, Nice and two weeks in Roland Garros).

He will play against the man of the moment and the sensation from Bordeaux. Kenny already played on grass the whole week before (he lost against the champion of the tournament in a tight match) so he can be dangerous in these first moments of the match. Plus Kenny has a great serve and good ground game. He reached the 4th round of Wimbledon last year and today defeated Devvarman with ease and with great stats (14 aces, more than 80% of the 1st serves won, more than 60% of the 2nd serves won, more than 70% of the first serves in, no break points faced), so in addition Kenny has already experience in competition matches here in Queens. And of course, we have to consider the fact that Kenny is a great player that in a good day on grass can defeat anybody.

So, in overall, I think that the first points of the match will be tricky for Ernests. If the match goes long then Gulbis will have a better chance to win it but he can be tired as well. Tireness can be another factor.

So I am not brave enough to give you a result. Three sets match for sure.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Tough start of the tournament for Ernests, he got one of the toughest rivals he could face. It will be a great test for the Lativan. He said the other day that he wants to keep his good streak without letdowns, that he is addicted to succeed. His great and improved serve should help him to perform well on grass, but I think that in the first moments of the match he can struggle a little bit with his baseline play. I mean, Gulbis forehand motion is not fast (that's why he likes clay, he has enough time to deal with high balls finding a good position and extending his right arm to execute the forehand) and the speed of grass can be a trouble in the very first points. He will need to make that readjustement so I do not expect him winning comfortably. In addition, he played A LOT of matches in the last weeks, he doesn't take a week off since the end of Barcelona (he played in Madrid, Rome, Nice and two weeks in Roland Garros).

He will play against the man of the moment and the sensation from Bordeaux. Kenny already played on grass the whole week before (he lost against the champion of the tournament in a tight match) so he can be dangerous in these first moments of the match. Plus Kenny has a great serve and good ground game. He reached the 4th round of Wimbledon last year and today defeated Devvarman with ease and with great stats (14 aces, more than 80% of the 1st serves won, more than 60% of the 2nd serves won, more than 70% of the first serves in, no break points faced), so in addition Kenny has already experience in competition matches here in Queens. And of course, we have to consider the fact that Kenny is a great player that in a good day on grass can defeat anybody.

So, in overall, I think that the first points of the match will be tricky for Ernests. If the match goes long then Gulbis will have a better chance to win it but he can be tired as well. Tireness can be another factor.

I like the effort you put to write about Kenny every single match (Pre- and Post-). Kenny is lucky to have a fan follower like you. Or are you "Kenny" on MTF? :p

Kenny in 3 for you, but likely RG SFist in 3.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts

He will play against the man of the moment and the sensation from Bordeaux.:rolleyes: Kenny already played on grass the whole week before (he lost against the champion of the tournament in a tight match) so he can be dangerous in these first moments of the match. Plus Kenny has a great serve and good ground game. He reached the 4th round of Wimbledon last year and today defeated Devvarman with ease and with great stats (14 aces, more than 80% of the 1st serves won, more than 60% of the 2nd serves won, more than 70% of the first serves in, no break points faced), so in addition Kenny has already experience in competition matches here in Queens. And of course, we have to consider the fact that Kenny is a great player that in a good day on grass can defeat anybody. :rolleyes:

Kenny is a a good grass court player, but nothing special. He had a pretty easy draw to reach the Wibledon 4th round last year. Unless he is exhausted, Gulbis will win in two sets.

·
Super Moderator
62,003 Posts
Despite getting his first win on grass five years after the Latvian, de Schepper already has almost three times as many. I predict a routine win for the Frenchman here.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Not expecting anything in this tournament from Gulbis. He made it pretty clear that this tournament will be only about preparation for Wimbledon - getting used to the surface. He said there was a little bit of tiredness after RG and that he would probably be arriving in London only on Tuesday (so that's tomorrow). It would be good to see him win at least one match in singles, but he also plays doubles, so he should get enough practice on grass in any case. I'd still go with Gulbis in 2 or 3, but wouldn't be surprised and/or dissapointed if he lost this one.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Despite getting his first win on grass five years after the Latvian, de Schepper already has almost three times as many. I predict a routine win for the Frenchman here.
85% of those wins are from qualifying matches against complete mugs :rolleyes: Has only 6 main draw wins, one of those was a w/o against Cilic and the rest are against such "giants" as Bachinger, Ram, Bopanna, Lorenzi and Monaco.

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
Not expecting anything in this tournament from Gulbis. He made it pretty clear that this tournament will be only about preparation for Wimbledon - getting used to the surface. He said there was a little bit of tiredness after RG and that he would probably be arriving in London only on Tuesday (so that's tomorrow). It would be good to see him win at least one match in singles, but he also plays doubles, so he should get enough practice on grass in any case. I'd still go with Gulbis in 2 or 3, but wouldn't be surprised and/or dissapointed if he lost this one.
id be disappointed if he lost here simply because of who he would be losing to.

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like the effort you put to write about Kenny every single match (Pre- and Post-). Kenny is lucky to have a fan follower like you. Or are you "Kenny" on MTF? :p

Kenny in 3 for you, but likely RG SFist in 3.
Thanks for your nice words mate. I am not obviously Kenny, but I will donate 5 years of my life only in order to play as he does when he plays at 10%. Kenny is a thing of beauty, he is from another galaxy. We are not worthy :worship:

Kenny is a a good grass court player, but nothing special. He had a pretty easy draw to reach the Wibledon 4th round last year. Unless he is exhausted, Gulbis will win in two sets.
People in outside courts reported that Monaco and Lorenzi played the matches or their lives. Plus Cilic retired because he was scared of Kenny. So in overall he had a very strong performance in Wimbledon 2013, he was 4 times better than Nadal there and 2 times better than Federer.

Good point, my friend. Some people think that I am a crazy, but then you bring us numbers that tells us that de Schepper is a better grass courter than Ernests. W-L record is a good estimator to see how good is a player in a surface. Science doesn't lie, number and numbers and people should trust in them. De Schepper > Gulbis on grass. Nothing to be ashamed of. I am worse than Sampras (and obviosly than Kenny) on grass and I am happy with it :cool:

85% of those wins are from qualifying matches against complete mugs :rolleyes: Has only 6 main draw wins, one of those was a w/o against Cilic and the rest are against such "giants" as Bachinger, Ram, Bopanna, Lorenzi and Monaco.
Really tough opponents, Bachinger is TOP100 material IMO. After all, he hammered Kubot in Monte Carlo 2013 qualies.

id be disappointed if he lost here simply because of who he would be losing to.
Never a bad lose when you lose against Kenny. I mean, for me losing against Darcis or Stakhovsky is way more embarassing. After all Kenny is a good and complete player.

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gulbis vs De Schepper to be played tomorrow Wednesday at 12:30pm local time in Court 1. One more tournament that doesn't put Kenny in a Central court :facepalm:

Disgusting if we consider that Gulbis was a Roland Garros 2014 semifinalist while De Schepper was the best player of the 1st week of Roland Garros according to French Tennis Federation (he made the best point of the week, hence he was the best player of the week).

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
Thanks for your nice words mate. I am not obviously Kenny, but I will donate 5 years of my life only in order to play as he does when he plays at 10%. Kenny is a thing of beauty, he is from another galaxy. We are not worthy :worship:

People in outside courts reported that Monaco and Lorenzi played the matches or their lives. Plus Cilic retired because he was scared of Kenny. So in overall he had a very strong performance in Wimbledon 2013, he was 4 times better than Nadal there and 2 times better than Federer.

Good point, my friend. Some people think that I am a crazy, but then you bring us numbers that tells us that de Schepper is a better grass courter than Ernests. W-L record is a good estimator to see how good is a player in a surface. Science doesn't lie, number and numbers and people should trust in them. De Schepper > Gulbis on grass. Nothing to be ashamed of. I am worse than Sampras (and obviosly than Kenny) on grass and I am happy with it :cool:

Really tough opponents, Bachinger is TOP100 material IMO. After all, he hammered Kubot in Monte Carlo 2013 qualies.

Never a bad lose when you lose against Kenny. I mean, for me losing against Darcis or Stakhovsky is way more embarassing. After all Kenny is a good and complete player.
I dont get how anyone can see deschepper as a complete player..are you just saying this to get a reaction?

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
What are the odds of Gulbis doing this:

Pretty high I reckon.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
He lost to Edmund on grass...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
gulbis if focused

1 - 16 of 16 Posts