• Total voters
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st time meeting.

Awesome forehand vs. Awesome backhand

Both good servers, both ballbashers, both headcases.

Surely a good one!

Klizan in 3 is my pick!

·
Banned
5,616 Posts
Klizan is not a good server. His serve is weakness, especially with that height. Yes it's 10x better than in 2012, but still shit.
I hope Klizan will win. Why Gulbis is playing here is a question to answer...

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
im hoping ernie tanks here myself. I honestly dont understand why he's here. He's played a lot on clay going in to the french and done well in barcelona and madrid, he doesnt need any more time on clay

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
If only both could tank for RG.

·
23,063 Posts
im hoping ernie tanks here myself. I honestly dont understand why he's here. He's played a lot on clay going in to the french and done well in barcelona and madrid, he doesnt need any more time on clay
Good point. At first, I was thinking that winning here in Nice would put him as #17, and without Del Po makes him part of the Top 16 seeds, making it easier to face the higher ranks later on, but the seeding of RG happens before the next rankings are released on Monday so this week's tournament doesn't have bearing on the seedings on RG so now I wonder why. Maybe he still feels rusty?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
It depends on which one of the guys is more interested in continuing playing here. I think Klizan might be the one who is more motivated here.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Hopefully Gulbis loses or tanks. Retarded decision to vulture in this shitty tournament right before slam. With each win he gets here Gulbis chances of getting past the 2nd round of RG decreases.

·
Come on, Ernest!
17,055 Posts
I don't agree with the people who are saying it's bad for Gulbis to play here. In all his career, he has rarely played the week before a slam - and where has that gotten him? Ernests certainly knows the advantages of not playing a tournament right before a grand slam, I remember him specifically saying it in one interview years ago. He said something like "Do you see many top players playing the week before? No, they are all practicing and that's what I'm doing too." Therefore I'm convinced that if he has decided to play in Nice then there must be a good reason for it. I guess he feels he needs more matches, and based on how many unforced errors he made against Ferrer, I agree.

I hope Ernests wins this match but I wouldn't be too surprised if Klizan won it either.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Good point. At first, I was thinking that winning here in Nice would put him as #17, and without Del Po makes him part of the Top 16 seeds, making it easier to face the higher ranks later on, but the seeding of RG happens before the next rankings are released on Monday so this week's tournament doesn't have bearing on the seedings on RG so now I wonder why. Maybe he still feels rusty?
Possibly looking for more ranking points to be seeded top 16 for Wimbledon, not that many points to win between now and Wimby. Although having said that no idea how the seedings are looking for wimbledon at the moment with the grass based seed system.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Maybe just the bad match with Ferrer in Rome (compared to one in Madrid) put him down so he feels he needs to play some more.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Great player and genuine nice guy Martin, please.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts