1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
They should've kept this tournament in Memphis. It was a disaster last year when they moved it to New York for the first time. It just doesn't belong there ...

Nice draw though. Let's hope they'll be able to attract a total of more than 150-200 spectators during the whole tournament this year.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
They should've kept this tournament in Memphis. It was a disaster last year when they moved it to New York for the first time. It just doesn't belong there ...

Nice draw though. Let's hope they'll be able to attract a total of more than 150-200 spectators during the whole tournament this year.
I do agree, Memphis was in the calendar for so many years, but suffered in the last couple of years and Nyc has already the US Open, so a bit strange to have at 250 tournament in the big apple,

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
I do agree, Memphis was in the calendar for so many years, but suffered in the last couple of years and Nyc has already the US Open, so a bit strange to have at 250 tournament in the big apple,
Well, bloody money and money talks. They weren't able to get a major sponsor but the crowd was great in Memphis, the tourney had established itself etc.

I have some friends in New York and they don't think it belongs in New York at this time of the year. They say, weather, locations, prices etc. Nothing seems to work out. Last year, the seats were empty ...

Hard core tennis fans will show up but that will not be enough. There are too many things to do for fun in New York in February.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
yes weather will be iffy tues and then fri/sat

add in thurs being valentines day also leads to lower crowds

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I predict Tomic - Karlovic final.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Johnson

·
28,458 Posts

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Well, bloody money and money talks. They weren't able to get a major sponsor but the crowd was great in Memphis, the tourney had established itself etc.

I have some friends in New York and they don't think it belongs in New York at this time of the year. They say, weather, locations, prices etc. Nothing seems to work out. Last year, the seats were empty ...

Hard core tennis fans will show up but that will not be enough. There are too many things to do for fun in New York in February.
Nishikori boycotting is enough for me.:sport:

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Very tough drive from NYC or NJ or Westchester to LI in February. To rely on the LI crowd for this tournament in Feb is a risk. Feb is a bad time of year for tennis, it's a tough sell even though it's a fine event with good names in the draw. Hope it succeeds, but it could crash.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
1 - 15 of 15 Posts