Mens Tennis Forums banner

WWW. Montreal SF: Murray - Nishikori

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like both, but i prefer Kei in the final because i don't want to see another Djoko-Ray bore-fest :help:
Murray is a huge favourite here though because he is a very bad match-up for Nishikori

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
should be a battle. I hope to god whoever wins beats Djoker in the final

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,604 Posts
I want Kei to go through but Murray is a bad matchup. If Kei can serve well and keep the attack going he could beat Murray but could be a grind. Hopefully they can swap the Masters SF results and Kei can win a title here (pending on Djokovic). Really don't think Murray can beat Djokovic in the final.

Well they are putting match at night. That favours Murray for sure as it weakens Kei's serve and groundies a bit.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
From what I have seen, Murray is too solid this week. Kei is capable of playing some firecracker tennis, but he also see-saws with his form during the match. A player like Andy will take advantage of it. Also, he is returning so well and will make nishikori have to earn his holds.

I don't see a nishikori win unless he paints his shots non-stop, which he hasn't shown.

·
23,933 Posts
really?, if murray wins he becomes number 2 ?:confused:
Go to bit.ly/LiveRanks and you could see in the rightmost part of the table the points the player could earn based on the round and compare it with current live rankings.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Yes and I can imagine Murray wants that badly. It means he won't have to face Djokovic until the USO final and can hope for Federer to beat Djokovic in the SF.
I thought it just meant he was #2 next week but has to do better than Federer in Cinci to keep the ranking for the USO?

As for the match itself I'm fairly neutral since I really can't be arsed with another Djokovic - Murray final at this point. Last time Nishikori was MTF's overwhelming favourite (I picked him myself) and Murray won; so far Murray seems to be the favourite this time around, which probably means Nishikori will win :lol:.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
I think this bad match up stuff is being a bit exaggerated IMO. Match can go to any side IMO.
It is. Nishikori was winning the majority of the longer rallies in their last match, but being destroyed in the shorter points. Also Murray's serve at Madrid was a fair bit better than his 2015 average.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
It is. Nishikori was winning the majority of the longer rallies in their last match, but being destroyed in the shorter points. Also Murray's serve at Madrid was a fair bit better than his 2015 average.
I don't think anything from Madrid can be taken as an example of what is gonna happen. Madrid's clay was not good for Murray's movement, which gave Nishikori the edge in long rallies. However the high bounce helped his serve a lot against Nishikori. Nishikori's second serve was also an easy target to Murray's agressive returns. Surface and play conditions still it is a key factor in tennis, and what happened in Madrid, won't have much to do which what will gonna happen now IMO.

·
The special one
14,778 Posts
I thought it just meant he was #2 next week but has to do better than Federer in Cinci to keep the ranking for the USO?

As for the match itself I'm fairly neutral since I really can't be arsed with another Djokovic - Murray final at this point. Last time Nishikori was MTF's overwhelming favourite (I picked him myself) and Murray won; so far Murray seems to be the favourite this time around, which probably means Nishikori will win :lol:.
if Murray gets to the final here a quarter final in cinci will be enough for the 2nd seed at the us open as fed is defending champion, If Murray wins this week then he's guaranteed 2nd seed for us open whatever happens in cinci

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Novak needs to tank the SF vs Chardy. No need to waste his time and energy and play winner of this match. Cincy and USO are waaaaay more important.

Back on topic. Murray in 2 easy sets. Nishikori is overrated.

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
1 at night again :eek:

can't justify staying up for this one

·
Registered
567 Posts
I want Kei to go through but Murray is a bad matchup. If Kei can serve well and keep the attack going he could beat Murray but could be a grind. Hopefully they can swap the Masters SF results and Kei can win a title here (pending on Djokovic). Really don't think Murray can beat Djokovic in the final.

Well they are putting match at night. That favours Murray for sure as it weakens Kei's serve and groundies a bit.
Well Kei doesn't have much of a serve to trouble a player of Murray's return caliber. I don't think the condition favor or disfavor him when it comes to his serve, it wouldn't have mattered anyways.

Kei just has to rely on his ground strokes and be a bit patient this time, yes patience even if turns into a bit of a grindfest. Kei trying to overpower Murray with pulling early triggers won't help his case given Murray is a such a good conterpuncher and will be feeding on Kei's offense and turn it against him.

What Kei has to worry about is to cut down the UEs first and for most and to do that he has to be a bit patient in rallies especially since he's got such good baseline game. Kei should play calculated offensive tennis against Murray, all out attack won't work against the Muzz, he thrives on such opponents and redirect their pace against themselves

Hoping Kei has smarten up a bit from the Madrid defeat against Murray

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Nishikori to save Federer's 2 seed at Flushing?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts