Mens Tennis Forums banner

Wawrinka or Dimitrov?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both played well to beat Monaco and Fognini respectively. This could be a tight encounter.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Stan in 3. Dimitrov doesn`t have good enough defence on clay to make Wawa feel uncomfortable and miss. In "open" free tennis Wawa should win. Grigor will have to move him around, don`t give a chance to hit without run.

·
Premium Member
9,293 Posts
The guy with better backhand will win.

·
Bring it Home
20,649 Posts
Rematch of last year's Queens match, this time with conditions favoring Stan.

It's not like Dimitrov can't win, specially if Wawrinka serves below 50% FS, like he did today, but the defending champion is obviously the favorite in this slow clay.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Dimitrov in 3 sets

·
Registered
13,972 Posts
I am intrigued. Stan probably wins as he's motivated with a lot of points to defend this week, but this could very well be a high level match if Grigor actually holds up his end of the bargain.

·
Premium Member
14,827 Posts
Wawrinka in 2.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Stan in 3. Dimitrov doesn`t have good enough defence on clay to make Wawa feel uncomfortable and miss. In "open" free tennis Wawa should win. Grigor will have to move him around, don`t give a chance to hit without run.
Grigor has great defense on clay. Their match on clay was in 2013 - Madrid 3-rd round. Grigor was exhausted after the marathon with Djokovic in 2-nd round and was leading Wawrinka with a set and a break just couldn't sustain the tempo. Grigor has shots with which he can put Stan out of rhythm. I expect a close match.

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
If Wawrinka will force Grigor to deep defense, then he should take it in straights.

·
Bring it Home
20,649 Posts
Grigor has great defense on clay. Their match on clay was in 2013 - Madrid 3-rd round. Grigor was exhausted after the marathon with Djokovic in 2-nd round and was leading Wawrinka with a set and a break just couldn't sustain the tempo. Grigor has shots with which he can put Stan out of rhythm. I expect a close match.
No, he wasn't a break up in the 2nd. Wawrinka saved a couple of break points in one game at 2-2 or 3-3 at that was all. Dimitrov was broken serving to stay in the set I guess.

3rd set he ran ouf of gas and was all Wawrinka.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I'm looking forward to this one, it should be a great match. Wawrinka in a tight three setter.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
We will see. :) I don`t see him handle bh rallies at all tbh, Wawrinka plays wider on clay as well using all the court... Dimitrov is clear underdog to me here, but of course he can win.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts