Votes: 5 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who wins this battle of NextGen superstars? The head-to-head is 1-1 overall, 1-0 for Shapo on hard court but that was the 2018 Australian Open before Stefanos' rise to the top 10.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shapovalov has had the advantage between these two in big matches (2 wins in junior grand slams, 1 in a real grand slam). He's got the edge.
I agree. I wanted Stefanos to win because I want to see this match-up. Stefanos is usually more consistent while Denis has more talent and upside but sometimes plays too rashly. With Denis embracing patience lately, he should prevail if he keeps it up. Has to take his opportunities better than he did today, though.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Well if Felix could do it ...
No I know it doesn't work like that.

I don't have a sense of who wins this but I can't wait to see it.

Love seeing Felix, Denis and Steph in the later rounds of the Masters, it all got more interesting with them around

·
Registered
404 Posts
To be fair, Shapovalov was ranked higher both times they met last year.

Stefanos should win this if he possesses a brain, but maybe he is a secret masochist and wants to continue to let old junior match-ups (literally, who in the world cares about this apart from Canadian tennis fans) affect the way he competes now :help:

Shapovalov is playing well, but not that well this Sunshine Double. His game is still very raw. Consistent serving, good defence and playing with margin should take him apart (like Hurkacz did in IW).

Shapovalov has had the advantage between these two in big matches (2 wins in junior grand slams, 1 in a real grand slam). He's got the edge.
"Junior grand slam" and "big match" in same sentence :spit:

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
To be fair, Shapovalov was ranked higher both times they met last year.

Stefanos should win this if he possesses a brain, but maybe he is a secret masochist and wants to continue to let old junior match-ups (literally, who in the world cares about this apart from Canadian tennis fans) affect the way he competes now :help:
Well Tsitsipas might, especially when you consider these matchups were only like 2 years ago. He certainly looked completely rattled against FAA.

·
justice for all
13,135 Posts
Dream matchup between future next gen stars. I think Stef may prevail but whoever wins I’ll be happy. Both have fantastic games and are a joy to watch. I like the way they grow up, Stef is maybe a bit ahead at the moment but Denis will make up the distance.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I think Shapo has an edge on hard courts and considering his recent form this month, he should get through Tsitsipas.

Also, Shapo does statistically better in Masters, and given all that it should be enough to get him through where he'll hopefully make another deep run in a Master 1000 event. I can def see him make the semis or beyond here!

·
Registered
573 Posts
"Junior grand slam" and "big match" in same sentence :spit:
Quite likely neither Shapo nor Tsitsi will consider a junior grand slam a big match after all has been said and done. Still, at the time it was played, it was probably up there among the biggest of matches for both of them. Actually, I recall Safin referring to matches he played at the future levels as the most crucial ones for his future career. I guess the state of mind when the match is played is what counts.

More on topic: Both players are great to watch, for slightly different reasons. Good to see that we will have one-handed backhands at the top level of the sport for 10-15 more years. I think this is as close to a case of "tennis wins either way" as we're gonna get.

·
Registered
10,662 Posts
Lol, Greek will take this of course. Solid form and much more talent, ideal court for him. Will make the final here.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Well if Felix could do it ...
No I know it doesn't work like that.

I don't have a sense of who wins this but I can't wait to see it.

Love seeing Felix, Denis and Steph in the later rounds of the Masters, it all got more interesting with them around
I agree with you, Denis, Stefanos and Felix are the most interesting and talented young prospects and have nice tennis to watch. Anyhow, We don't have to compare Stefanos's defeat in IW against Felix with his next match against Denis as Stefanos arrived in IW completely exhausted after a victory in Marseille followed by a final in Dubai. This defeat in IW allowed Stefanos to rest and be fresh for Miami. I think that Stefanos is the (slight) favourite here.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Well Tsitsipas might, especially when you consider these matchups were only like 2 years ago. He certainly looked completely rattled against FAA.
He looked rattled, but also exhausted. And I know this, I was there watching Tsitsipas at the 2016 USO. Not the same player.

·
Registered
615 Posts
It's a close call, not least because Shapavolov's mercurial game can sometimes put the match entirely on his racquet but if I were a betting man, I'd back what seems to be the greater consistency of performance that Tsitsi appears to be offering now. In essence, he's a safer bet, if not necessarily the better player.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So 32 people have picked Tsitsipas to win while 23 have picked Denis, but most Denis picks are in 3 sets and most Stef picks have him advancing in straight sets. So adjusting for that by counting the total number of sets assigned to each player, Tsitsipas has 80 (32 X 2 + 16 (people who picked him to lose in 3) to Shapovalov's 56 (23 X 2, + 10 (people who picked him to lose in 3).

That translates to: Tsitsipas 58.8%, Denis 41.2% which is right about where the oddsmakers have things as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts