• Lajovic in 3

Votes: 12 25.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The final everyone predicted0:) Honestly, I think Fognini deserves it more with his clay results in the past and defeating the 11-time champion here, but he could easily throw a stinker. Lajovic also did well to beat Thiem, Goffin and Medvedev, but it would be the most random result in the past decade if he takes the title here :lol:

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if we see atrocious Fabio tomorrow, it is the final, but the opponent isn't enough to pump him up for it. Crowd will definitely be on his side. If he is mentally present, he will prolly win. As for Lajović, he should try and frustrate Fabio, it will work better than actually playing well :D

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
237 Posts
Looking at the anti-climatic outcomes of the big favourite matches, I guess tomorrow we shall see Lajovic winning his first title here!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Fognini is the clear favourite due to the fact that he has much more experience at this level. He already won 8 titles even if only ATP250 but Dusan will play his first ever final ! It would be a massive surprise if Lajovic wins and I am pretty sure that the nerves will get him if we get a close final and if he would be in a position to win it.
In the other hand, we all know the talent of Fabio, and it would not be a surprise to see that kind of name in the list of the Masters1000 events, and especially on clay, and close to his home town (Arma di Taggia close to San Remo, so less than one hour drive from Monte-Carlo), Fabio is very used to the weather conditions that can occur in Monte-Carlo (like the afwul ones of today)

Of course, Fabio gets often unpredictable as the season has been so far, so I would say 65-35 for Fabio

Apparently, they never met each other

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
I just have a feeling Lajovic might take this in 3, but I do agree that if they produce their levels today that Fognini will win. However, over the week as a whole I think Lajovic has pretty much done just as well as Fognini in terms of having a good level for the majority of his time on court. Of course Fognini wasn't so great against Rublev, had a walkover vs Simon but gradually played into form over the week... and Lajovic hasn't quite brought his best in the last 2 rounds but still good enough to reach the final.

Probably the most surprising final since Paris 2017. Both of these two have always been good on clay so its nice to see them getting a big final and I am looking forward to seeing what I really hope will be a good match

Also timely for Lajovic, he has QF points from Madrid but he doesn't even need to bother defending any points thanks to reaching this final. Done himself a huge favour in terms of ranking points, rest of the clay season is a free hit for him rather than the usual do well or risk being consigned to challengers/qualies for the rest of the season.

Edit: Also something interesting I thought of, this makes it so we have 3 active Serbians in singles who have reached a masters final. Very nice achievement

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Two guys in their first Masters1000 final (for Dusan first final overall). The victory would be the biggest success to both of them. I don't know whom I should support. Obviously I like Fabio but Dusan had such a great tournament and a victory would mean a world to him. Let the better man win! My prediction: Fabio in 3 (there will be some clowning).

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Clayovic yet to lose a set here...maybe Fabio can snatch one but I wouldn't bet on it

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
I don't know. I've seen too many times when a player wins a big match he fails in the next one. Fog is a favorite for sure but that means nothing really.

Lajovic is a different match up. They've never played before. Lajovic is good on clay, very good. Fabio is more experienced but he can also goof around.

I'm neutral here. Hoping for a great match :lick:.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Awesome finals. I like both players and their games. Prediction is highly unreliable every time you have Fog on one side of the net, but he's in great shape and playing some of the best tennis. What else to say about Lajovic than incredible tournament and the win would be a fitting end to it. For all people being tired of good ol' big 4 and can't waiting for different finals of new gen, well not exactly what was expected right? lol

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
For the love of GOD Fabio, don't fuck this up.

Fognini to deservedly claim his 1st M1000 in 2 sets!

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Well not the same old same old ...
two unlikely 1rst time Masters finalists, I have no opinion on the winner except that it should be Fabio but it would be a kind of classic meltdown to lose next, except he doesn't seem to have those meltdowns nearly as often as he used to, but also I'm not familiar with Laj's game so there could be some matchup issues ...
Both guys beat formidable players on their way to the final, an impressive kill list on the way so it should be good final ...

·
Registered
404 Posts
Sock vs. Krajinovic Part 2. But Lajovic and Fognini actually beat good players.

·
Registered
14,082 Posts
This would be a huge anti-climax if Fognini loses it

·
Premium Member
7,104 Posts
Re: WWW? MC F: Fognini vs. Lajovic

Fabio in easy, easy 2. First Masters for Fabio is a lock.
There is no way Clownini will be as motivated tomorrow. He'll clown a way at least one set.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts