·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The re-match of the Indian Wells Final.

H2H Breakdown:

Overall: 3-2 Thiem
Clay: 1-0 Thiem

This is their first meeting on clay since Federer's last clay match prior to this tournament. Thiem prevailed in two close sets at Rome 2016.

Will we get another thriller like in Indian Wells?

Good luck to both :)

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
That last meeting on clay was a joke. Federer had back pain and could barely move or serve. It was a miracle that he kept it that close. Tomorrow is their first legitimate encounter on clay. I expect a thiem win but with federer you’ll never know what his form in the following match will be

·
Registered
990 Posts
Federer to make the match look closer than it actually will be, 6-4 6-3 Thiem but never in trouble throughout the match.

Federer might as well do what Stakhovsky did to him at Wimbledon and serve and volley nearly every point on serve, he'll get embarrassed if he tries going up against Thiem in baseline exchanges.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Thiem should win this one, but I'm sure he's not happy to see Federer on the other side of the net.

Nice match!

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Federer to serve an volley himself to one 7-5 set. But Thiem should not be losing this match.

·
justice for all
13,109 Posts
Dominic in 2.

Fed on clay is not what he used to be while Dominic is arguably playing the best tennis of his life.

Whoever wins I'll be glad but obviously rooting here for Dominic.

He's a man on a mission and the final passing of the torch needs to take place.

Come on, Domi!

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Thiem is the favourite but Federer can still be dangerous on clay, especially here in Madrid. My prediction: Dominic in 3.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Straight sets for the Swiss.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I'm really curious about that one.

I was migthly impressed by Thiem in Barcelona. He seems to have much more patience and variety in his game.

Nutty serve and volley won't cut it for Federer. But Thiem does not like when he has no time to return, so he should take the ball early and remain close to the baseline. That being said, his baseline game looked mostly horrible so far. But we all know Federer is always able to switch up several gears.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
After today’s win and seeing all Fed haters in ruins coming out, any match from now is just pure awesomeness and a bonus. Fed already has some points in the bag and i couldnt care less if he loses to Thiem which to be fair trashed Nadael Rafal recently.
As a matter of fact, i hope he doesnt overplay and doesnt try too hard on clay so he will be top fit for grass season.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Thiem made plenty of UEs today in the 2nd set, although serve was very good. He's lost the last 2 finals here, including to Zverev so nothing is certain. Madrid is probably his least favorite clay venue, and now that Fed saved his hide today he can go in relaxed. Fed in straights.

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
No way Federer wins this sadly. And honestly it would be a bit of a joke for tennis if Federer on his comeback on clay after 3 years and at his age beating the 2nd best player on clay who is in his prime and playing better than ever. Thiem in 2.

With that said, it would be an amazing joke and totally rooting for that joke to happen :p

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
No way Federer wins this sadly. And honestly it would be a bit of a joke for tennis if Federer on his comeback on clay after 3 years and at his age beating the 2nd best player on clay who is in his prime and playing better than ever. Thiem in 2.

With that said, it would be an amazing joke and totally rooting for that joke to happen :p
I would say Thiem is the best player on clay right now.
Nadal beating him in 2019 would be an upset, and would also need a major choke from Thiem.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts