Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who will win this first round match in Indian Wells?

• Llodra in 2

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Gulbis in 2

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Llodra in 3

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Gulbis in 3

Votes: 4 19.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mika defeated Gulbis in four sets at the Australian Open this season in the first round. Gulbis won his first MD matches of the season last week in Delray Beach and has three ATP MD wins since the US Open. Neither have great history at this event. I'm picking Llodra to win. These courts should accept his spin even more than in Australia and the balls fly through the air, plus the historically windy conditions will make it tough for Gulbis to return. I expect Gulbis to get frustrated and donate a serve game or two and lose.

You know the drill, vote up peeps!

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
e-gul is having trouble gathering momentum so this a tough first match for him. still he can get it done in 3 if he is patient.

point construction and good shot selection will go a long way. he also has to be able to take care of his serve.

i can see e-gul taking this if he is smart about it. patience is the key.

·
Registered
13,526 Posts
Ernie will blast Llodra off the court in the first set then lose the next two something ridiculous like 1 and 2, like he did at the AO. :sad:

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He'll hate it on every single level outside of his serve. Whenever balls are put in play he'll be at a disadvantage, conceivably. But these courts accept spin well, and Mika serves with a lot of spin. Add the wind factor and the high-elevation factor, and his serve, against someone who returns like Gulbis, should be effective. And I think Llodra will win on the basis of his serve.

·
Registered
15,930 Posts
Not Llodra's favourite conditions, but Gulbis has been poor recently, so I go with the Frenchman.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Ernie :rocker2:

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Godra df Mugbis 6-0 6-0

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
Gulbash is an erratic ballbasher, so Llodra should win in 2