Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Virtanen in 3

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am watching this live tomorrow, and as someone young and Finnish I rarely get to watch top level tennis. Even the Helsinki challenger has been on ice since the Russians who financed it got sanctioned in 2014 after the annexation of Crimea. One of the best live matches I have seen was in 2013 in teh Helsinki challenger semi final when Nieminen saved match points and won against Struff in the semi-final. This was right when Struff was on the verge of a break out season. Interestingly Struff didn't really ballbash back then but rather hit solid, flat and accurate groundstrokes. This was really challenging for a 32 year old Nieminen who had started his decline.

On paper this looks like an easy win for Ruusuvuori. But Virtanen just beat Fabbiano. He is barely 18 year old and ranked outside the top-1000. With the performance against Fabbiano I think he has the potential to at least make it a competitive affair. I haven't watched Virtanen ever, but Ruusuvuori has the capacity to steamroll anyone outside the top 100. But he hasnt been in that kind of form since his illness after his win in Glasgow. This is the biggest match of Otto's career and I think the audience will cheer him energetically to make it competitive. If Emil isnt in top form, I think Otto could surprise and take a set and maybe even the match. Emil is great, but not always very mentally strong. He has had problems closing out sets and matches.

Finnish tennis is as healthy as it has been since Nieminen retired. At least one QF is guaranteed due to this match. And both Heliövaara and Patrik Niklas-Salminen are also playing in the Ro16. Good times for the Finnish game

Anyway we gonna see what's going on. Not sure who Im gonna cheer for. The young 20 year oldon the verge of the top 100, or the promising 18 year old. i think Ruusuvuori takes it in three.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
plz respond lmao, I gues im gonna have to wait for finns to wake up

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
One Finn still awake here in London.

I agree with you OP with respect to many points you made in your starting post of this thread.

The Finnish tennis definitely is healthy in a way at the moment with many youngsters waiting for their breakthrough.

One thing I wouldn't call that healthy though is the lack of Finnish sponsors interested in these talented youngsters. This has been a problem for a long time in Finland and I haven't seen much improvement since Jarkko made Finnish tennis visible in the headlines again (and it's been a while since).

Neither has it helped a lot that we've had Henkka in the headlines until very recently, although only in the doubles department (not respected much here at MTF, but actually respected among quite a few former singles players who've accepted their limits and know, for instance, how challenging the net play can be at doubles).

This is a huge problem for such promising young Finnish players who don't have wealthy parents. I don't find that sort of discrimination acceptable and it also prevents many promising young stars from making it through to the top (even within Finland, let alone worldwide). Many of them decide to choose another kind of career simply because they cannot afford one in tennis.

I know this same thing is a problem in many other countries as well, but it's far too excessive in Finland where the sponsors seem to be interested mainly in winter sports, especially ice hockey.

I've been following this happening very closely, that's one reason why I'm a bit furious about the situation.

Would you @jojjeshruk agree with me on this at all?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
There's actually also the lack of very talented practice partners in Finland, which I forgot to mention in my post above.

I guess the above two reasons were at least partly behind why Henri Laaksonen decided to give it a go in the Swiss team after a long history of playing under the Finnish flag (not saying he's been that successful playing for Switzerland either).

I know there were other contributing factors as well, but one cannot underestimate the above two reasons I have presented, as unfortunate as it is and as much as I'd love it not to be the case.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
And now I finally get to the thread subject itself after I've let out my frustrations, and I'll go for Emil. If not in two, at least in three.

I know the result I also gravitate towards to, in additon to OP, is definitely not as obvious as one might think, so I wouldn't be awfully surprised if Otto took this one, but I still feel it will be Emil who wins.

Unfortunately I will not be able to watch the match live as I'm currently in London for work (but luckily here I get to see some other matches, which usually tend to be pretty high-quality ones, not always though). I love to follow Finnish tennis live and can't understand why there's far too often not that much audience around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts