Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Cuevas 2-1

Votes: 7 14.6%
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
14,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pablo has real shot here. I really think he will win this one in 3 sets probably if Rafa plays like today.

·
Bring it Home
20,353 Posts
Well, Nadal had the matchup advantage against players with OHBH, specially the ones who are not very tall, like Cuevas.

But he need his forehand working good to explore the opponent's backhand and his forehand is obviously unstable at the moment. Also, Pablo showed he can play with him at that Rio's match.

I think Nadal win win in 3 sets (or 2 tough ones), but Cuevas certainly has a decent shot.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Rafa needs to improve his level for sure.

When he double faulted on match point and then break point, he was mentally in ruins and deserved to lose the set and probably would have against many decent players. But Vesely didn't have it in him to take advantage.

33 UE's on clay against a player like Vesely. I'd have to dig up stats, but I think heyday Nadal used to go 4 maybe 5 matches on clay without making so many errors total.

Cuevas is no scrub. I think we will see Clay Warrior play better, or he exits.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Your visions will happen
48,549 Posts
Gonna be a very tough match

·
Administrator
6,158 Posts
Well Nadal defeated Cuevas earlier in the year, though it was pretty close, so you would think he'd be able to get past him here again. Cuevas is a solid clay player though and given that Nadal struggled against Vesely that might be enough for Cuevas to win here.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
LOL people. If nadal loses here he should just retire. A semi-midget with an 1HBH on clay? Come the effin on! j/k
Thats not the time to talk about retirement. If he wins nothing of note in his 30th year. Then yes he can and should call it a day. He has done more than enough. But I have a feeling he has a couple of great moments left in him.

And so does he. This is his terrible year. After 10 years of pure history making I'd say he is deserving of a very poor one. So he can lose to anyone this year it's written in the stars. NEXT YEAR. Is the one that matters.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Pablo has real shot here. I really think he will win this one in 3 sets probably if Rafa plays like today.
I love that word IF. WELL the odds will be delicious on Pablo, you know what you have to do...

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
LOL people. If nadal loses here he should just retire. A semi-midget with an 1HBH on clay? Come the effin on! j/k
umm a semi midget. There was a semi midget in the 60s who won two calendar year GRANDSLAMS. Know who Im talking about???

And I don't know how 5 11" is a midget. 35 years ago it was standard height. BORG, MCENROE ANYONE.

So you think you have to be 6 1" or taller to be a legend

Players under 6 foot who won a slam or two.

ROD LAVER 5 8"----11 slams
KEN ROSEWALL 5 9"----8 slams
JIMMY CONNORS 5 10"-----8 slams
BJORN BORG 5 11"-----11 slams
JOHN MCENROE 5 11"-----7 slams
ANDRE AGASSI 5 11"-----8 slams

Just a bunch of nobodies under 6 foot.

·
|
14,966 Posts
Rafa needs to improve his level for sure.

When he double faulted on match point and then break point, he was mentally in ruins and deserved to lose the set and probably would have against many decent players. But Vesely didn't have it in him to take advantage.

33 UE's on clay against a player like Vesely. I'd have to dig up stats, but I think heyday Nadal used to go 4 maybe 5 matches on clay without making so many errors total.

Cuevas is no scrub. I think we will see Clay Warrior play better, or he exits.

Respectfully,
masterclass
Whoever that is in your avatar is horrendously ugly.
Rafa deserved to lose the set? How do you figure that? The tie-breaker was not even remotely close. Rafa was mentally in ruins? Uh how did he absolutely dominate the tie-breaker then? Looks like the double-faults at 5-4 were just a case of him losing concentration, which he's done throughout his career against inferior opponents.

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,427 Posts
Nadal is absolute shit currently so if Cuevas plays well then he'll have a great shot at straight-setting this match. That's unlikely to happen though. He'll screw it up, play horribly and give the match to Nadal like most of the Spaniard's opponents do.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I smell another sad day in haters' office. Rafa with another relatively easy win here. I reckon he'll win the whole thing, something federer failed at in 2013. Maybe it's the reason why haters in ruins?

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,427 Posts
I smell another sad day in haters' office. Rafa with another relatively easy win here. I reckon he'll win the whole thing, something federer failed at in 2013. Maybe it's the reason why haters in ruins?
If Nadal wins this title it'll be based purely on sub-par performances from his opponents. His level is horribly mediocre at best, so any decent player should be capable of beating him if they play decently.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If Nadal wins this title it'll be based purely on sub-par performances from his opponents. His level is horribly mediocre at best, so any decent player should be capable of beating him if they play decently.
Isn't it the case every time whenever rafa wins? Opponents chokes, underperforms, getting injuries?
On a serious note, he is now trying to build his confidence. His level has been up and down this year, but if you saw his performance against Berdych in Madrid, you should know that Nadal will rise his level sooner or later..

·
Banned
6,801 Posts
Too much talk about Nadal problems, but if Rafa wins tomorrow, he will be the sixth in the race.

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,427 Posts
Isn't it the case every time whenever rafa wins? Opponents chokes, underperforms, getting injuries?
On a serious note, he is now trying to build his confidence. His level has been up and down this year, but if you saw his performance against Berdych in Madrid, you should know that Nadal will rise his level sooner or later..
You know Nadal's level has fallen horribly this year when you're praising him for defeating Berdych on clay :tape:

And yes, most of Nadal's wins are due to his opponents. That should be common knowledge for years now.

·
23,484 Posts
Well Cuevas seems to be solid this tournament (in general really in the clay tournaments this year) but does he have the mentality to actually finish off this Nadal and whenever he goes to a resurgent patch...didn't leave a good impression at the end of their last match and Nadal's seems worse here than in Rio so maybe it's his time for redemption here.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
The disrespect towards Nadal is going to come back and bite right in your booties.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts