Mens Tennis Forums banner

WWW?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great match in prospect here, should be the 'real final' of this tournament.

Aliassime is the story of the moment and for good reason, a 14yo playing a Challenger QF. His groundstrokes, volleys... are amazing for his age and he might well be a future top player.

Nishioka is young himself, 19yo and moving into the top 100. He has a nice game with excellent strokes and good ROS but at 170cm he makes even Nishikori look like a giant in comparison, and as expected his power and serve are lacking.

I'd say Nishioka in 2 tight sets though, should be a great match to watch.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
i'd always hoped nishioka achieved more after watching his match against donald young last year, but too many physical limiations. Curious to see how felix does against an player that doesn't bleed errors.

nishioka in 2 probably

·
Registered
22,652 Posts
May this be a lesson to you all, never underestimate the GOAT!
Sorry but I have to underestimate the GOAT here. Nishioka is better than any player he's ever faced and should handle him fairly easily unfortunately. Still a QF showing is amazing.

This is Yoshito's tournament to lose.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Nishioka in 2. He's just on another level compared to King and Whittington.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Mayb I am crazy but I think Aliassime will win, Nishioka is quite good but can't really say I am impressed with his results this year, still he is always tough opponent though so won't be ez for the new kid, if he plays bad surely he will lose.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,834 Posts
Mayb I am crazy but I think Aliassime will win, Nishioka is quite good but can't really say I am impressed with his results this year, still he is always tough opponent though so won't be ez for the new kid, if he plays bad surely he will lose.
I'm also going out on a limb. May the best player win

·
54,834 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Nishioka's s not making a progress since last year, he's 143. in Race and 140. in live ATP ranking, he met his physical limitations right now - he's the favorite, but it's not hard imagine him to be beaten by Auger.

I think Kings suited Aliassime well because he's pusher without good serve - Canadian lost his serve 5 times and still was able to win in 2. It's not a suprise that 14 yo has the biggest troubles with his serve on Challenger level - he doesn't need to be regular too regular in his game, because he's meeting opponents who give him many chances on their serves. Just look on Aubone and King match. He lost his serve many times in these matches and still won easily.

The same with Nishioka. Canadian will dominate the match from baseline and with poor Nishioka's serve and very good ROS of Aliassime - this will be close match, both with chances to win in 3. Playing with some good serving guy would be too much with Aliassime, luckily - Nishioka definitely isn't that one.

·
54,834 Posts
Nishioka's s not making a progress since last year, he's 143. in Race and 140. in live ATP ranking, he met his physical limitations right now - he's the favorite, but it's not hard imagine him to be beaten by Auger.

I think Kings suited Aliassime well because he's pusher without good serve - Canadian lost his serve 5 times and still was able to win in 2. It's not a suprise that 14 yo has the biggest troubles with his serve on Challenger level - he doesn't need to be regular too regular in his game, because he's meeting opponents who give him many chances on their serves. Just look on Aubone and King match. He lost his serve many times in these matches and still won easily.

The same with Nishioka. Canadian will dominate the match from baseline and with poor Nishioka's serve and very good ROS of Aliassime - this will be close match, both with chances to win in 3. Playing with some good serving guy would be too much with Aliassime, luckily - Nishioka definitely isn't that one.
Yeah both Auger-Aliassime and King won less than 65% of 1st serve pts, and second not more than 45%.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Felix could win it, but only if he doesn't have the few sloppy games he had against King.
Nishioka is a step up, but not a huge one. If Felix cuts out the loose games, he definitely has a good chance. However, if he doesn't it will probably Nishioka 6-4 6-4 or something like that. (however, a challenger QF, and a win over a pretty much top 200 player are nothing to cry over, especially considering it's only his second tournament)

·
Premium Member
14,827 Posts
Love to see him keep going, but I don't think it happens here. Nishioka likely in straights. (I hope I'm wrong though)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts