·
Banned
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who do you have as a winner here?

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
The one who is better doper. Cycling is meaningless.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Contador with that stacked team. Easy route this year and that big ass ITT before mountains. I can't see Aru being a factor after the TT.

Anyways, no Zomegnan no fun...

·
Som i Serem
16,500 Posts
Contador (and his team) already sent out a strong message on the first stage.

With one contender less (Pozzovivo), I think only Uran / Aru / Porte can hurt him here.
The more interesting classifications are the blue and red jersey.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
:lol: you could say this pretty much about every sport (individual ofc). At least they have one of the strictest doping controls (far far stricter than in tennis for example)

On topic Contador has this in the bag imo.
No you can not.

There are sports that are based on endurance and stamina only where athletes greatly benefit from doping and doping is rampant like Cycling, Track and Field, Weight Lifting, Nordic Skiing, ...

And there are sport where skills are most important and where doping does not help you.

·
Registered
22,645 Posts
Ryder Hesjedal :p

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Contador looks desperate to win something this season. Fake injury and intermediary sprint vulture... Djokovic and Ferrer would be proud.

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Contador will probably win, but this means he won't win the Tour de France in July. :lol:

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
What happened to the Cycling thread anyway? I might start one..

I dunno guys, Porte can definitely dent Contador's hopes in that long ITT, Richie is definitely the stronger TT rider of the two. Plus Porte has responded to everything in the smaller mountains so far, obviously the true mountains will be a telling moment. Aru will lose any advantage to the two other GC contenders on stage 14.

My prediction for GC: 1. Porte 2. Contador 3. Aru

Viviani for the points jersey

Aru for young rider

Not sure about the mountains classification.

I love the Giro.

Also GTFO Chico, you don't belong here, OR in the Doping thread for that matter.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
They did catch him, Tour de Suisse 2001 (EPO), Tour de France 1999 (Corticosteroids) and when he made a comeback in 2009 his blood values were flagged as indicative of blood manipulation. It doesn't mean anything when your governing body and numerous multinational corporations rely on your continuing success. Cycling controls are the strictest in the world, but that of course doesn't guarantee a clean sport.

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
What happened to the Cycling thread anyway? I might start one..

I dunno guys, Porte can definitely dent Contador's hopes in that long ITT, Richie is definitely the stronger TT rider of the two. Plus Porte has responded to everything in the smaller mountains so far, obviously the true mountains will be a telling moment. Aru will lose any advantage to the two other GC contenders on stage 14.

My prediction for GC: 1. Porte 2. Contador 3. Aru

Viviani for the points jersey

Aru for young rider

Not sure about the mountains classification.

I love the Giro.

Also GTFO Chico, you don't belong here, OR in the Doping thread for that matter.
Historically Porte has always had 'one terrible day' in 3-week-races, so despite of that long ITT I really think Contador is the favorite as he's the better climber as well.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
This Porte is different though, he seems stronger in his climbing and has lost quite a bit of weight, he will probably be able to hold wheel or limit any potential losses in the mountains. Don't get me wrong, I really don't want a Sky bot winning anything, but he does look strong at the moment. Contador slight favourite then, ITT and first true mountains will decide it. They do have the Mortirolo to come though, could be a big moment.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
No you can not.

There are sports that are based on endurance and stamina only where athletes greatly benefit from doping and doping is rampant like Cycling, Track and Field, Weight Lifting, Nordic Skiing, ...

And there are sport where skills are most important and where doping does not help you.
That was an exaggeration of course, but there is barely any sport where doping can't help you at all. In the sports you mentioned doping helps you in a MAJOR way, but even in 'skill' sports doping can help you in minor way (endurance and power are relevant in many sports for example even in many skill sports etc)

Yeah, it was so strict that it could not catch Lance Armstrong. :lol:
The strictest in the world doesn't mean they are strict :p

Dopers will always be one step ahead because when a new doping substance is invented/found they are the first that use it and it could take a while to fix the controls to catch that substance properly. The same could be said about development of masking already well-known substances.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Doping helps skill sports in a huge way, there is even doping in Chess. But this is besides the point, Chico doesn't get it so there isn't any point opening a dialogue with him.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts