Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
IMO Zverev rather needs practice than more matches, but vulturing a couple of points seems like a good idea. Hoping for a Zverev-Wawrinka final. :yeah:

Otherwise Dimitrov entered the qualies via WC.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Inb4 Dimitrov draws Flopez in R1 and Wawrinka in R2. :facepalm:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I was not expecting Zverev to play again this week. I know he hasn't played all that many matches, but still, I'm worried about this potentially backfiring on him in Paris, with no off week practically the entire clay court season.

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
So Zverev has a bye in 1st round, he might be a walking bye in R2 too, regardless of if Nishioka or Gulbis will pull through. :haha:

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
I was not expecting Zverev to play again this week. I know he hasn't played all that many matches, but still, I'm worried about this potentially backfiring on him in Paris, with no off week practically the entire clay court season.
The thing is that with his current form, people are practically expecting him to bow out in R1/2 of RG, so there isn’t that much to backfire on in the first place. It does reflect his mindset though, that he’s stubborn and believes that must play until he finds form.

·
Registered
14,087 Posts
The thing is that with his current form, people are practically expecting him to bow out in R1/2 of RG, so there isn’t that much to backfire on in the first place. It does reflect his mindset though, that he’s stubborn and believes that must play until he finds form.
so Dimitrov is also stubborn? Lol.

This has nothing to do with being stubborn

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'll go with Garin here. I doubt Zverev or Stan actually want to win here, rather than get some matches in and a nice appearance fee.

·
The special one
14,030 Posts
Yeah probably the correct call for Zverev to play this tournament, he's just had around 1400 points flushed down the toilet in the last fortnight so he needs to get some points, along with some much needed form and confidence ahead of RG. Looking at the top half, despite his shite form Zverev should really have no difficulty reaching the final, it doesn't look that difficult really with very little threats.

Dimitrov playing Fabbiano in qualies, if I remember that was R3 match at AO this year and now they're playing a qualifier to get into a 250 lol.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
so Dimitrov is also stubborn? Lol.

This has nothing to do with being stubborn
Actually I think it’s a good kind of stubbornness, it just means that he still thinks he should be a top 5 player and wants to get back even if he just ends up embarrassing himself again. It’s better than just accepting and waiting for the next big tournament, which I’ve seen in many instances, such as Dimitrov last year after losing first matches in Madrid and Rome.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And regardless of his results here I consider a R1/R2 loss in RG as very likely given how poorly he is on such ultra-slow surfaces and the state of his game.

That said, even though I appreciate that stubbornness and his high ambitions, I believe it's not just a matter of form (like with Thiem entering Lyon last year, which is also a very good preparation for RG condition-wise unlike Geneva), but also a technical issue (FH), so I'd say spending that time on the practice court improving those issues would be smarter.

·
Registered
21,282 Posts
And regardless of his results here I consider a R1/R2 loss in RG as very likely given how poorly he is on such ultra-slow surfaces and the state of his game.

That said, even though I appreciate that stubbornness and his high ambitions, I believe it's not just a matter of form (like with Thiem entering Lyon last year, which is also a very good preparation for RG condition-wise unlike Geneva), but also a technical issue (FH), so I'd say spending that time on the practice court improving those issues would be smarter.
For me the most important thing that he needs to fix is the 2nd serve, his first serve is pretty solid but he literally has no second serve and the DF count this year is much higher than usual

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Actually I think it’s a good kind of stubbornness, it just means that he still thinks he should be a top 5 player
You cannot be serious, man, you just cannot be serious. :cuckoo:

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Actually I think it’s a good kind of stubbornness, it just means that he still thinks he should be a top 5 player and wants to get back even if he just ends up embarrassing himself again. It’s better than just accepting and waiting for the next big tournament, which I’ve seen in many instances, such as Dimitrov last year after losing first matches in Madrid and Rome.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For me the most important thing that he needs to fix is the 2nd serve, his first serve is pretty solid but he literally has no second serve and the DF count this year is much higher than usual
Yeah, but I consider this partly a mental issue. Surely his motion isn't the simplest one, he's never had the greatest kick and it became even more complicated within time, but I guess it seriously affects him that he is basically helpless in rallyes. I believe his DF count will go down once the rest of his game reaches a certain level (again).

·
Registered
21,282 Posts
Yeah, but I consider this partly a mental issue. Surely his motion isn't the simplest one, he's never had the greatest kick and it became even more complicated within time, but I guess it seriously affects him that he is basically helpless in rallyes. I believe his DF count will go down once the rest of his game reaches a certain level (again).
Fair point but I always feel if the serve is on a good level the rest of the game will also follow suit.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fair point but I always feel if the serve is on a good level the rest of the game will also follow suit.
That's an interesting take, don't really know whether it's the serve influencing the rest of the game more or vice versa, think I found matches for both thinking of it.

But just judging by how poorly he often plays when the serve doesn't give him any free points (MC, RG), I tend to agree. Recall performances where his serve was completely useless and he still played pretty good throughout (Davis Cup vs. Ferrer, Washington DC 18 vs. Jaziri) and performances where he was nearly unbreakable and still sucked badly though (Coric USO). The strength behind his serve in Madrid last year was also more about the way he backed up his serve IMO than the serve itself (which was also incredibly strong that tournament too though).

But overall I guess these examples are probably more about the first serve anyway. :lol:

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Yeah probably the correct call for Zverev to play this tournament, he's just had around 1400 points flushed down the toilet in the last fortnight so he needs to get some points, along with some much needed form and confidence ahead of RG. Looking at the top half, despite his shite form Zverev should really have no difficulty reaching the final, it doesn't look that difficult really with very little threats.

Dimitrov playing Fabbiano in qualies, if I remember that was R3 match at AO this year and now they're playing a qualifier to get into a 250 lol.
Surprised Edmund isn't playing this or Lyon. He's out of the top 30 now, barely seeded for RG, has no coach and I feel won't even be in top 50 once Wimbledon is over.

Such a waste of last six months.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts