Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just kidding. The actual question is....are there any observable similarities in the game of the two? They both had the same 1st coach I've heard, and I'm interested in how much influence the first coach may have in the development of a person's style.

·
Registered
11,323 Posts
Different players.

Didn't Seles go to Nick Bollitieri (can't spell) who only teaches like one style of play?

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Different players.

Didn't Seles go to Nick Bollitieri (can't spell) who only teaches like one style of play?
Yes, Seles went to the Nick forehand factory.

Completely different players and I can't even use similar ethnicity here as one is Serb and the other is an ethnic Hungarian.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the story I heard was that Djokovic's and Seles' first coach was a woman named Jelena Gencic. She was either a coach or the woman who first identified them as "extraordinary" or something of that nature.

·
Registered
11,323 Posts
Still I believe they are different.

Seles took everything so early and had a shit serve. Bolletieri's players are pretty much similar in how they take it early.

Nole has more variation and is a million times a better mover on court.

·
Registered
18,056 Posts
Still I believe they are different.

Seles took everything so early and had a shit serve. Bolletieri's players are pretty much similar in how they take it early.

Nole has more variation and is a million times a better mover on court.
Man is faster/stronger then a woman :rolleyes: how much more variation has Nole got over Seles,please name them!!

·
Registered
11,323 Posts
Man is faster/stronger then a woman :rolleyes: how much more variation has Nole got over Seles,please name them!!
Seles has a shit slice. Nole can slice and has a very good drop shot. Nole can hit the ball flat or with a lot spin. Seles just smashed everything.

Seles was a crap mover on the women's tour when someone could actually move her around.

Anyways can't compare men and women tennis. Women's tennis when Seles played had less depth so she dominated.

·
Registered
18,056 Posts
Seles has a shit slice. Nole can slice and has a very good drop shot. Nole can hit the ball flat or with a lot spin. Seles just smashed everything.

Seles was a crap mover on the women's tour when someone could actually move her around.

Anyways can't compare men and women tennis. Women's tennis when Seles played had less depth so she dominated.
Fair enough assessment,i could go on further but there's no need :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Well, the story I heard was that Djokovic's and Seles' first coach was a woman named Jelena Gencic. She was either a coach or the woman who first identified them as "extraordinary" or something of that nature.
You r right. They both worked with Jelena Gencic as their first coach, but being the one that had the same opportunity 15 years ago, I can just say that I can see the traces of her influence both in Monika or Nole but not as decisive. First of all, two-handed backhand. I don't know anybody who worked with Gencic that didn't adopted this style. Further, she insists on top-spins, a lot of it in every hit. Monika never adopted this shot. Nole did, but I think it hasn't much to do with Jelena. Kick serve is another similarity, but as you may recall, Monika wasn't very good in it. Volley game, or lack of it, is maybe the best example, but as we all saw, Nole started to improve. There is one more thing. Nole knows how to slide, but Monika was the best in it in her time. She was one of the best on clay (Jelena conducts her trainings on clay predominantly).

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Monica is the real GOAT :worship: :bowdown:

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
BUMP. Eerie similarities in how Djokovic is tearing through the ATP the same way Szeles did in her own time through the WTA... and no slouch on clay, either. Let's see if he does better on grass.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
If I remember correctly Seles did play only one final on grass (Wimbledon) and lost to Graf. Yeah, I'm pretty sure she did manage to reach the final of Wimbledon. On the other hand Novak reached 2 SF at W. So Seles >>>> Nole :)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts

Seles was not a poor mover. You are doing very little with shit movement, much less winning 8 grand slams and battling toe to toe with the best of the era.

Seles' power and mental toughness was the stuff of legends, Djokovic has a long way to match that level, as well as Seles was much more attack-minded than Djokovic is.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
Seles was not a poor mover. You are doing very little with shit movement, much less winning 8 grand slams and battling toe to toe with the best of the era.

Seles' power and mental toughness was the stuff of legends, Djokovic has a long way to match that level, as well as Seles was much more attack-minded than Djokovic is.
I agree with your statement. The only thing you are wrong is - Monica won 9 majors, not 8 :). Good old times when I actually enjoyed watching the WTA ... nowadays I could not care less.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
My bad buddy, hey, it's WTA, I should get credit for being close. ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts