Votes: 18 30.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
ツ
7,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should be a great match. Tomic put in good showings against Nadal (Australian Open), Djokovic (Wimbledon) and Federer (Davis Cup) last year, how will he fare in his first match against the world number four?

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
Heart says Tomic, but head says Murray.

Head also says Murray won't have it easy, he should play really really well to beat Tomic in front of the Aussie crowd. I'm going with Murray in 3 close sets, maybe even a 7-5 or tiebreak in the last one.

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
If Murray brings his game from today, straight sets. If he brings his game from the first two days, a close 3 setter. I don't see Tomic's slices bothering Murray much- he loves cat and mouse.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
It's true, Tomic's style will get eaten up by Murray. Just a bad matchup for him. If Murray wants this it's his, unless Tomic can bring in some things we've never seen before because he really cares about this "hometown" tournament.

·
Registered
10,791 Posts
Doubt TOMIC at your peril. :mad:

·
Registered
49 Posts
ND should win this reasonably comfortably. Murray was embarrassing the other night: crying like a girl and faking injuries when that no-namer was destroying him. On the other hand, Tomic does not have the hunger for these insignificant events and may prefer to rest up.

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts
Not convinced as to why this would be a bad match-up for Tomic, he won't provide Murray with a whole lot of pace to work with yet has a jack-in-the-box attacking style which will probably catch Murray off guard, yet Murray doesn't really hit with enough consistent pace to hit through Tomic especially regularly so the question is, will he expose Tomic's weaker movement with angles and grind him down in the end.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I hope Tomic wins, but for some reason I'm sensing a 6-1, 6-0 beatdown by Murray tomorrow.

·
Registered
10,504 Posts
ND should win this reasonably comfortably. Murray was embarrassing the other night: crying like a girl and faking injuries when that no-namer was destroying him. On the other hand, Tomic does not have the hunger for these insignificant events and may prefer to rest up.

Correct.

·
Hakeem
5,234 Posts
Honestly don't see how Murray can lose this. Tomic, while a great player, has a very similar style to Murray: patient groundstrokes, random injections of pace, great placement, adequate first serve and good hands. Only difference is that Murray does all these things at least a little bit better at the moment and he has the experience plus mental strength.

Tomic certainly can take a set, but I don't see how he can finish the match against Murray. Tomic's game matches up much better against the top 3.

·
Registered
903 Posts
The outcome will be the same as last year between Murray v Dolgo at AO. Murray should come through as different pace balls and angles will suit Murray down to a tee. Unless Tomic goes into aggressive machine gun mode like Soderling did against Murray at Indian Wells 2010 handing Murray a beat down.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I always root for young, promising players yet I'm afraid Murray will trash B-Nard in straights, letting him win just couple of games.
However, I hope for a great and entertaining match.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Honestly don't see how Murray can lose this. Tomic, while a great player, has a very similar style to Murray: patient groundstrokes, random injections of pace, great placement, adequate first serve and good hands. Only difference is that Murray does all these things at least a little bit better at the moment and he has the experience plus mental strength.
Furthermore, Murray's movement is visibly superior and Andy can easily exploit Tomic's poor footwork.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Andy should win this, just hoping its a good match.

·
Registered
70,519 Posts
come on bernard the atomic :bowdown:

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
I think a lot will depend on which Andy shows up for the Match. There is a good Andy and a bad Andy and no one knows which one will show up! Andy is very tough on his fans :sad:

·
Banned
5,508 Posts
Should be a fantastic match. I really can't predict it. I really dislike Tomic's personality but his game amazes me every time I watch one of his matches. He has better groundstrokes than Murray. Call me crazy but not only his forehand but also his backhand is better than Murray's. Question is consistency. The brit played well against Baghdatis but this week has been terrible for his caliber. Tomic won't be scared obviously and Murray is the one who will lose his cool earlier. If both can serve well, it's going to be a really tight 3 setter. I would say Tomic will win the first set, Murray confidently the second (like 6-3 or 6-2) and Tomic will win the tight decider.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.