Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who uses this match as a launching point for the rest of 2014?

• Pospisil

Votes: 21 50.0%
  • Tomic

Votes: 21 50.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two young talented underachievers face off in a match/tournament that could potentially turn their seasons around. Who wins?

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
Two young talented underachievers face off in a match/tournament that could potentially turn their seasons around. Who wins?
Pospisil being an underachiever is extremely arguable.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
He's only 9-12 in 2014. I think that can pretty safely be described as underachieving considering his talent level.
You're basing underachieving on a single year? I suppose Ferrer is an underachiever considering all his bad losses this year?

Looking at Pospisil's career at this point, I'd say he has performed pretty close to his talent level. A Masters semi, Wimbledon title, and #25 highest ranking is pretty accurate. The only argument you could make is that he hasn't won a singles title or reached a final thus far.

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're basing underachieving on a single year? I suppose Ferrer is an underachiever considering all his bad losses this year?

Looking at Pospisil's career at this point, I'd say he has performed pretty close to his talent level. A Masters semi, Wimbledon title, and #25 highest ranking is pretty accurate. The only argument you could make is that he hasn't won a singles title or reached a final thus far.
No, it isn't just this season (although that was an obvious example), he's underachieved his entire career relative to his talent level outside of a short stretch last summer/fall.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
No, it isn't just this season (although that was an obvious example), he's underachieved his entire career relative to his talent level outside of a short stretch last summer/fall.
Just out of curiosity, based off of his talent what would you expect? What do you think his peak ranking would be, how many titles do you think he'd have, etc.?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
LOL Pospisil is in a bit of a funk, mainly caused by injuries, and just won wimbledon doubles and is still ranked very respectably, far from an underacheiver

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just out of curiosity, based off of his talent what would you expect? What do you think his peak ranking would be, how many titles do you think he'd have, etc.?
He has the talent to be a consistent top 20 guy for sure. Whether he ever reaches that is the question. The mental side/injuries have held him back.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
He has the talent to be a consistent top 20 guy for sure. Whether he ever reaches that is the question. The mental side/injuries have held him back.
So he really isn't much of an underachiever considering he's reached 25 + had success in doubles :p

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So he really isn't much of an underachiever considering he's reached 25 + had success in doubles :p
Does that mean Tomic isn't an underachiever because he's reached 27 in the world himself? Of course not.

Pospisil is a guy who is just 35-50 career on the ATP tour with no finals/titles and has never come close to reaching his potential outside of that short stretch last year. His ranking will also plummet to 70+ if he doesn't defend the Vancouver/Montreal points from last year. The fact that he won a doubles slam doesn't change much of anything about his singles career. Unless you think the guy is a challenger level player (and will be for the rest of his career), he's definitely underachieved relative to his talent level.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
Does that mean Tomic isn't an underachiever because he's reached 27 in the world himself? Of course not.

Pospisil is a guy who is just 35-50 career on the ATP tour with no finals/titles and has never come close to reaching his potential outside of that short stretch last year. His ranking will also plummet to 70+ if he doesn't defend the Vancouver/Montreal points from last year. The fact that he won a doubles slam doesn't change much of anything about his underachieving singles career.
Oh my... Mate, Tomic is definitely an underachiever because his talent could take him to the top 10 easily. Pospisil is MUCH less of an underachiever, because his talent could maybe take him to just inside the top 20, and he's all ready gotten pretty close to that.

Sure, he hasn't gotten any finals/titles so far, but his ranking and the fact that he got a Masters semi makes him much less of an underachiever. He is a minor underachiever at best.

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pospisil is MUCH less of an underachiever, because his talent could maybe take him to just inside the top 20, and he's all ready gotten pretty close to that.
And yet Pospisil has gotten nowhere close to being a consistent top 20 player (or even a consistent full-time ATP player for that matter). His current ranking is simply being buoyed by one event and he'll likely be back outside of the top 50 by this time next month unless he gets on a serious roll.

Sure, he hasn't gotten any finals/titles so far, but his ranking and the fact that he got a Masters semi makes him much less of an underachiever. He is a minor underachiever at best.
The fact that he played well for one week at a big event and got a good draw doesn't supersede his entire career of struggles. Again, unless you think Pospisil is destined to be nothing better than a challenger level player who can't play .500 tennis on the actual tour (and maybe you do?), then he's underachieved considerably. I have no idea why anybody would disagree or even take issue with labeling these two exactly what they are.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts

Pospisil is a guy who is just 35-50 career on the ATP tour with no finals/titles and has never come close to reaching his potential outside of that short stretch last year. His ranking will also plummet to 70+ if he doesn't defend the Vancouver/Montreal points from last year. The fact that he won a doubles slam doesn't change much of anything about his singles career. Unless you think the guy is a challenger level player (and will be for the rest of his career), he's definitely underachieved relative to his talent level.
I hate Tomic and like Pospisil but Tomic has way more talent than Pospisil, Pospisil is not underachieving he's 35th and 24 he'll develop into a top 20 player if he stays fit, Tomic has potential to win slams

·
Registered
756 Posts
I think we should give Pospisil more time before calling him an underachiever. He had a good run last summer, he is still a top 30 player because of that, and if it weren't because of injuries maybe he could have keep up with that level. If he stays healthy but doesn't manage to repeat that kind of results then I guess he could be called an underachiever, or a goodish player that had a great run some time ago.

Tomic, OTOH, had his best ranking two years ago, is currently outside of the top 100 and barring those finals in Australia, he never repeated the result, or the level, he shown at Wimbledon '12. Underachiever suits him better. Then again, two years ago wasn't so long ago and he is young (and younger then Pospisil) he still has a few years to get back at that level.

A SF here will be a much needed confidence boost for either player. I haven't watch Vasek, I watched bits of Tomic's matches and I'm not that impressed, but he is not beating himself and he is overall a better player than Pospisil, so I think he will win.

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I hate Tomic and like Pospisil but Tomic has way more talent than Pospisil, Pospisil is not underachieving he's 35th and 24 he'll develop into a top 20 player if he stays fit, Tomic has potential to win slams
Not sure where I compared them (although I do think Tomic clearly has more potential). Pospisil has completely underachieved in his career to this point, though.

·
23,063 Posts
Well, personally I think Popsisil underachieved for this year, at least based on the promise he had during the end of 2013. He is still relatively highly ranked due to his Canada and Basel runs but other than that he had been losing many first round matches than a Top 30 player "should have". A 1st Round loss in Wimbledon(?) shows that he underachieved there when he might have been good enough to at least reach his seeding IMO. I hope he does well though because he does have a good potential to be Top 20 (or even Top 15 IMO) consistently.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
bernie in 2

1 - 20 of 45 Posts