Mens Tennis Forums banner

WWW?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rublev certainly can win against Clownini. He's got the game for it.

I really want the kid to face Nadal in R3.

·
Bring it Home
21,331 Posts
One of those rare occasions a Fognini win can save tennis and humanity!

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
fognini will go in knowing nothing about him, underestimate the kid and assume he can cruise. when he cant and rublev takes the first set he will just give up

rublev in 2, maybe 3

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
I prefer Fognini to play Nadal, but the chance of Nadal being beaten by a child would be the ultimate roast.

·
Banned
108 Posts
Rublev played 3 matches in 3 days and seemed injured or cramping in the last game of Verdasco match. He was barely moving, I don't know whether he will be able to play.

·
Registered
14,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I prefer Fognini to play Nadal, but the chance of Nadal being beaten by a child would be the ultimate roast.
Rublev beating Nadal would be like Federer beating Sampras in 2001, from a symbolic perspective. The passing of the guard.

·
Registered
474 Posts
fognini will go in knowing nothing about him, underestimate the kid and assume he can cruise. when he cant and rublev takes the first set he will just give up

rublev in 2, maybe 3
You don't think Fabio is well aware of what happened today? Fabio is not going to underestimate a young hungry player who beat Verdasco in straight sets and looked damn good. It would be great for tennis to see Rublev win and even though Fabio is very unpredictable I still favor Fognini to take this one. Fognini in 2.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Fognini is the favourite here, since he will also have seen the lacking fitness of young Rublev who barely got over the line vs. Verdasco and adjust his game accordingly.

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
You don't think Fabio is well aware of what happened today? Fabio is not going to underestimate a young hungry player who beat Verdasco in straight sets and looked damn good. It would be great for tennis to see Rublev win and even though Fabio is very unpredictable I still favor Fognini to take this one. Fognini in 2.
he doesnt strike me as the kind of guy who really pays attention to other results. maybe im wrong

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
55,269 Posts
Rublev played 3 matches in 3 days and seemed injured or cramping in the last game of Verdasco match. He was barely moving, I don't know whether he will be able to play.
That's why I hate when people say he faked it...he played qualies before.

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Fognini will win on clay.

·
Banned
4,868 Posts
Fognini taking it easily. Rublev will be loved on this forum, but he's still just a ballbasher with very poor fitness. Would be good if he entered top100 by the end of the season.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Hopefully Rublev wins this, would be awesome to see him take on Nadal.

Fognini winning would be a very disappointing result, perennial non-entity beating promising, developping 17yo youngster.

Reactions: Fargif

·
Registered
476 Posts
Rublev beating Nadal would be like Federer beating Sampras in 2001, from a symbolic perspective. The passing of the guard.
Not quite! I think your comparisons are wide apart. Rublev is no crown prince and does not convey the concept of a genius taking over the office of a retiring one. Federer and Sampras told that story well, especially as the takeover depicted a new leadership at the wimbledon office. Rublev in my opinion is not yet qualified for the cloakroom of roland garros, not to talk about taking over an office!

·
Registered
476 Posts
he doesnt strike me as the kind of guy who really pays attention to other results. maybe im wrong
I was just going to say that. It would be a real contradiction of character if he was one who payed that sort of attention to anything and yet still played with that sort of care-free swagger. Rublev is young and can recover physically. He will only be too aware of the opportunity at stake. Might win a set!

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Hopefully Rublev wins this, would be awesome to see him take on Nadal.

Fognini winning would be a very disappointing result, perennial non-entity beating promising, developping 17yo youngster.
I think Fognini on clay is better than a "perennial non-entity." He's a very good clay courter. He should win this in straight sets.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think Fognini will win, despite wanting Rublev to take it. Fognini is good on clay and Rublev is worn out after playing qualies. However I'd love to see him play Nadal, would be very interesting.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts