Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
21,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Come on.

Let's talk about this a little bit, 7 hours before "tip-off" (basketball term).

Some pretty interesting things are going on here.

Raonic has been in and out of the game basically since 2017 now.

Sometimes he comes back with no resemblance of a ground game ('18 AO), sometimes just quite weak ('19 Vienna), sometimes real good ('19 grass season), and sometimes you wonder how he can come back so good in Nadal-esque fashion, like now.

It usually depends on his forehand. It's the engine of his game. It can be a weak shot not really making inroads, or like 2 days ago against Tsitsipas, just cause instant offense whenever he got the chance.

It was probably Raonic's best performance since last year's AO R4 against Zverev, that one was slightly more hot-shot spirited though. This one seemed pretty constant and current.

So while Raonic has pretty much been making R4 or QF for a while now, injuries or not; he is looking much better than he has before in previous runs.

Cilic meanwhile is having his own run of personal redemption and feel-goodness.

He has the chance to make his first QF since 2018.

It was almost looking like another exit against Paire, then he exploded on Agut and called upon a peak stretch of 11 straight games with shotmaking and early aggression only he is really capable of. It was vintage '14 USO/'17 WB/some Nadal meeting form.

Both are vying for the chance to (probably) play Djokovic in the QF. Since they've denied Tsitsipas, I hope they don't fall short in presenting the kind of challenge he would have, and continue with a cracker here.

To must of MTF this was a 50/50 match, curiously the bookies have Raonic the sizeable favorite.

Personally, Marin is quite the enigma to me and I enjoy his runs and whenever he's puffing his chest, idemo'ing and care'ing.

·
Registered
8,395 Posts
Still think that Marin with superior return is actual favorite here.
Cilic in 5.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts