Mens Tennis Forums banner

WWW?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Match between two Kings of inappropriate 5-setters in Slams who are yet two play a 5-setter this tournament. Based on what I've seen from Zverev, Verdasco in 3 is a safe bet, but realistically he will probably need 4 sets to win this after tanking the second.

·
Registered
29,199 Posts
Match between two Kings of inappropriate 5-setters in Slams who are yet two play a 5-setter this tournament. Based on what I've seen from Zverev, Verdasco in 3 is a safe bet, but realistically he will probably need 4 sets to win this after tanking the second.
The words "Verdasco in 3 is a safe bet" should never, ever be uttered.

Match is a toss-up, absolutely anything could happen here.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Maybe Verdasco can prove Budadiii‘s theory and start goating with his forehand Like in his prime? I seriously doubt it though

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I think Zverev will take it pretty easily. He seems to have changed - a year or two ago the Cecchinato / Gerasimov matches would have been five setters. Still, would not bet anything on the win.
That's false, he was straight-setting opponents of similar strength way more comfortably than here in the past. He has been playing terribly, his FH in particular is DREADFUL and the only reason he didn't drop a set here is that his two opponents somehow managed to be even worse.
The opponents he played 5-setters against last year (at the US Open for instance, where he was actually hitting the ball fairly well but unnecessarily mugged it up), would have probably beaten him here.

The win against Gerasimov actually reminded me of the one against Fabbiano back in 2017. Another dreadful performance somehow resulting in a straight-set victory.

·
justice for all
15,120 Posts
I think this is a toss-up. Zverev seems to be improving, at least his serving got somewhat more consistent in the last match but he may lay a stinker any moment. His FH is still below par but BH is back to good.
On the other hand Verdasco looked quite good but at 36 it's just never a sure bet whether he'll be redlining or spraying errors.
This could go 5 indeed.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
That's false, he was straight-setting opponents of similar strength way more comfortably than here in the past. He has been playing terribly, his FH in particular is DREADFUL and the only reason he didn't drop a set here is that his two opponents somehow managed to be even worse.
The opponents he played 5-setters against last year (at the US Open for instance, where he was actually hitting the ball fairly well but unnecessarily mugged it up), would have probably beaten him here.

The win against Gerasimov actually reminded me of the one against Fabbiano back in 2017. Another dreadful performance somehow resulting in a straight-set victory.
So he was dreadful and still managed to win in straights...sounds like something the Big 3 have historically done. Don't get me wrong, I don't rate him highly at all. But I watched the Cecchinato match and there was no reason why he couldn't have taken a set. Yet, he didn't. We will see though. I'll be the first guy to laugh if Zverev gets dumped out by Verdasco in five. I just don't think it will happen.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts

Bro you watched like 5 pts against Gerasimov, he was quite alright actually.

Reactions: -Dominator-
1 - 9 of 9 Posts