Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Somebody else

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Field doesn't hold a candle vs. Marseille with its 8 top 30 players, but it's one of my favourite tournaments on tour nonetheless and I really like that Thiem plays it as the top seed and obviously overwhelming favourite.

Reactions: devision2002

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Nice Draw for Thiem, although Verdasco semi could be tricky. Would love to see a Thiem Ruud quarter, two of the best clay court forehands against each other.

·
Registered
175 Posts
This joke for 500 event. Marcelle more competitive and deserve upgraded while this downgraded. This remind me Hamburg which I always say not 500. That why I been saying there too many clay court tournament. I not know past Rio do Janeiro but considering there many good player from Europe and real clay season not start until April, pointless having 500 clay tournament South America in February.
Anyway paper Thiem favorite win tournament but he often struggle after good result so I have hunch he lose before final. I not know who win title. I actually not care because this not desere 500 first place. I expect ATP downgrade it 250 and upgrade another necessary.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
This joke for 500 event. Marcelle more competitive and deserve upgraded while this downgraded. This remind me Hamburg which I always say not 500. That why I been saying there too many clay court tournament. I not know past Rio do Janeiro but considering there many good player from Europe and real clay season not start until April, pointless having 500 clay tournament South America in February.
Anyway paper Thiem favorite win tournament but he often struggle after good result so I have hunch he lose before final. I not know who win title. I actually not care because this not desere 500 first place. I expect ATP downgrade it 250 and upgrade another necessary.
The golden swing is a good fun part of the season and Rio is a great tournament. It's the only South American 500 and deserves it's place, it's got a nice balanced clay field and provides some great clay court tennis. Not everyone wants loads of hardcourt 500's, Marseille often doesn't have a great field and certainly shouldn't be upgraded...

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Lajovic has a favorable draw to get to the final, but I hope londero gets his revenge

·
justice for all
15,293 Posts
Such comments always baffle me. Do you realize that South America has only one 500 ATP tournament? Do you know how many good players (and historically slam champions) come from South America? Do you know how many people come to attend matches in these events? Now compare it to Asia (China and Japan) which have too many high profile events with empty stands - especially in early rounds. If anything South America deserves more tournaments and even a 1000 masters not the other way round.

·
justice for all
15,293 Posts
On topic: good draw for Dominic. Hopefully he can shake off AO final’s loss disappointment by winning this cool event. Come on!

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Yes, I hope Dominic can win his second title in Rio. I always enjoy watching this event, also just to see the scenic views of this magical city. As a previous poster, I would also like to see Dominic against Caspar in the QF. Hopefully, Guido Pella can play better than in Cordoba and BA where he struggled, he admitted that his level is not as good as last year at the same time. As Christian Garin "took a rest" this week, I expect him to go far and it will be interesting to see how Carlos Alvarez will handle his first main draw ATP match.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Field is almost as weak as Halle and Basel. Hopefully Thiem can take advantage of that and make sure the rankings will finally reflect the true balance of power next week.

·
Registered
8,382 Posts
What's wrong with Berrettini? He has played only 2 matches in 2020 and has withdrawn from many tournaments. He doesn't have to defend a lot of points, but still it will be tough for him to stay in top 10.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Such comments always baffle me. Do you realize that South America has only one 500 ATP tournament? Do you know how many good players (and historically slam champions) come from South America? Do you know how many people come to attend matches in these events? Now compare it to Asia (China and Japan) which have too many high profile events with empty stands - especially in early rounds. If anything South America deserves more tournaments and even a 1000 masters not the other way round.
Perhaps swopping this with Miami would be better in long term?

You get IW-Miami double header over and done with by middle March and then you properly start the clay season with Rio before going back to all the european tournaments in April.

Could convince a few more top players to take part, Nadal certainly would.

·
Your visions will happen
48,653 Posts
Should be 500 points for Thiem

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Field is almost as weak as Halle and Basel. Hopefully Thiem can take advantage of that and make sure the rankings will finally reflect the true balance of power next week.
We always have fantastic fields here in Basel. What the --- are you talking about?

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Djere out with abdominal injury.
So he will lose 500 points, and be out of the top 70 from Monday 23 February on.
So we will have already 2 Lucky Losers out of 4 qualifiers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts