Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Raonic in 5

Votes: 3 7.7%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Intriguing match coming up, first meeting between the two. Tsitsipas comes into the match undercooked with a poor R1 opponent and a R2 walkover, not sure if he can adjust quickly if things get tough. Raonic looked sharp today and he‘s no stranger to big matches at AO, still very much a top 20 level player when healthy. Tsitsipas can be vulnerable against big servers as in his matches with Struff and Kyrgios, this should be a big test for his ROS. Who do you think will prevail?

·
Banned
19,217 Posts
It will indeed be a really close match.

An out of nowhere peaky Raonic could deny us the QF blockbuster.

Hoping Stef prevails. Don't need the inevitable Milos come down or bend over.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
This is definitely going to be an interesting one, at least if Tsitsi playes on his normal level and Raonic has got his act together (i.e. is not injured, half injured, nearly injured, is not thinking about getting injured again, plays and serves like he used to do etc.).

If both are in good form this is going to ne a tight one, since like op said big servers are not exactly Stef's thing.

I still lean towards Stef winning this one. His serve isn't weak either and overall he's got so much more variation to his game. Being younger, he's also better in surviving the heat, humidity and all that, especially if this goes on to be a five setter.

While I'm not a big fan of either player (I like Stef's game but not his antics), I'd so much more prefer seeing more of Stef at AO this year.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I haven't watched Raonic play since Laver Cup so it's hard to say, but it appears he is in good form and uninjured. Tsitsipas will be fresh and ready but I do have a bad feeling he will have trouble breaking Raonic, and the problem with Tsi is that at any random point he can suddenly get broken. A tiny lapse is all it takes. He can be up 40-0 on serve and then go on to be broken. It is frustrating. I feel like if something like that happens, it will be too hard for him to break back and the set will be gone. However, I think Tsi will pull through, and despite losing most likely the first set 3-6, he will go on to win in four (or five) sets. This is a match I will definitely be watching and rooting for Tsitsipas!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Tsitsipass poor return could make this close but raonic has been real bad from the baseline in recent times so cant see him winning

·
justice for all
16,845 Posts
Really hoping for an easy Stef win (3 max 4 sets). He's here to fight for the trophy and while I have nothing against Raonic he is a generation useless gatekeeper - while he is good at beating the lesser opponents he'll almost inevitably bend over to a BIG3 player. What we don't need is a Djokovic - Raonic QF.

Come on, Stef - this is your time to shine!

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
I think this match is on Raonic's racquet. If he replicates AO 2016 form he should definitely beat Tsitsipas.

·
Banned
3,263 Posts
I like Raonic and want him to win this but I can’t deny he would probably bend over to Djokovic in the quarters.

·
Banned
3,263 Posts
Really hoping for an easy Stef win (3 max 4 sets). He's here to fight for the trophy and while I have nothing against Raonic he is a generation useless gatekeeper - while he is good at beating the lesser opponents he'll almost inevitably bend over to a BIG3 player. What we don't need is a Djokovic - Raonic QF.

Come on, Stef - this is your time to shine!
This is one of those situations I wish were different cause I like Raonic and generally would want him to win most of the time but he’s very likely to bend to Djokovic which I don’t wanna see.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Raonic can make this interesting. Stef in 4.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts