Mens Tennis Forums banner

WWW?

• Total voters
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Solid second round. I used to not like this match-up from Stans perspective, but after Raonics game has changed till AO16 I really don't like this match-up from his perspective. While plain unreturnable aces aren't any different for him than they are for better returners, a high higher FS% relying on weak replies and finishing them with big FHs and a good netgame is.

I think to have a chance here, Stan really needs to outplay Raonic off the ground significantly and I don't really see that happening with Raonic probably being in good form. Still hoping for Stan to win, though.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I feel that wawrinka will chuck in the odd loose service game for a break and really struggle to get the break back. Maybe a set where waw doesnt get broken and it goes to tie break and the rest are single breaks to raonic. Would love to see waw go deep but raonic looks like he means business at this tournament. I think I heard the commentator say that only four players have played more slams before winning their first than raonic so hes running out of time. Not sure who those four are but i assume ivanisevic, korda and wawrinka are three of them.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Unfortunately this match is scheduled too early, such a shame. Completely don't know who wins this one.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I feel that wawrinka will chuck in the odd loose service game for a break and really struggle to get the break back. Maybe a set where waw doesnt get broken and it goes to tie break and the rest are single breaks to raonic. Would love to see waw go deep but raonic looks like he means business at this tournament. I think I heard the commentator say that only four players have played more slams before winning their first than raonic so hes running out of time. Not sure who those four are but i assume ivanisevic, korda and wawrinka are three of them.
if you’re talking most slams entered before a first slam title:

Korda 34
Ivanisevic 48
Wawrinka 36

Raonic is at 30 this week. He has passed Cilic (29), Gómez and Muster (27), Costa (26) and Johansson (24), the only others in the 20’s.

Tick tick tick.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
It has to be said that since he came back from the knee surgery Wawrinka has had a lousy lot of on-paper draws, particularly at bigger tournaments. Where's the wild card, the player with a ranking of 100+, the player who's rubbish on the surface in question, the one with no weapons ...? Admittedly he's had a bit of help with various of his opponents getting injured/retiring or whatever, but it really does seem like an unusually rough set of draws that he's had. Not surprising he's not back in the top 50 yet - he just never seems to get a break! It seems there's always the name of a tough player gravitating towards his when the draw is made.

All this is by way of saying that I have no idea who's going to win this match ...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts