Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who will reach the final of RG?

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Impossible to predict, so I will try to do exactly that.

The main reason being Zverev. Dude is just unbelievable moody and he can go from total clowning to unplayable and back very fast and with no warning. His FH seems to improve and became a weapon, of course not as good as his opponent, but not a liability. BH is fantastic and if he was able to execute a coherent plan, he should pepper Tsitsipas worse side until it breaks. And it will break eventually as it always does.

So, from Tsitsipas point of view, he should take every chance to dictate with FH. Actually, I think he should be more aggressive than he is from that wing. I have a feeling that in today's coaching a lot of emphasis is put on percentages and "margins", restricting people with serious talent. We would never see Fed's FH today as it would be marked as too risky. So, go full Shapovalov and unleash it Stefanos.
Hopefully Full Shapo mode when it stays I’m not the usual shank error fest that shapo can be

·
Registered
93 Posts
Tsitsipas has had to face harder challenges and will be more ready for a fight. I haven’t been super impressed with Zverev, a lot of his matches were basically handed to him. Kei & ADF just not at the level.

·
Super Moderator
22,532 Posts
I’m genuinely looking forward to see Tsitsipas/Zverev. I prefer Zverev but I’ll happy with Tsitsipas too. It was my ideal SF, I just hope it’s not a 5th setter, they need to be fresh for the final. But my pick is Zverev in 5 sets. Both playing so well. And Zverev will be looking to finally beat a top 10 player in slams, I think he was unlucky to not beat a top 10 player. He was leading vs Djokovic and Thiem in the HC slams. And those 2 won the slam too.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I clearly think Zverev is more of a threat to Tsitsipas than Medvedev, even though Tsitsi is a favourite to win.
It would be an interesting match as well. Both won Masters on clay this year.

·
|
16,427 Posts
When you look at his diabolical record vs. Top 10 or Top 20 players at slams, Zverev needed that US Open title a lot more than Thiem.
I know it didn't help Thiem (so far), but everybody is different, and winning it may have helped Zverev.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Even though I don’t enjoy watching him play often, Zverev is extremely difficult to hit through on clay and is able to get balls back a lot. Stef was able to get great position on Med and use his forehand to dictate play a lot. I don’t see Stef being able to do that consistently as Zverev has an insane backhand and formidable play on this surface. Both are in really good form. I lean Stef in 5 due to his clutch play and he’s been more tested than Zverev, but this a toss up match to me.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
I like Zverev more but may the best man win, so that we can have a 1% greater chance of success vs Nadal in the final.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
This the first of probably 5+ slam meetings between the two, could set the tone. Their match at Acapulco this year could have gone either way, I think Tsitsipas will be a bit more clutch and win in 4, but any result wouldn't surprise me.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
The way Stefanos played, he seems like on a mission. Hoping Sascha can stop him somehow. My hope is that Sascha moves way better on clay then Medvedev and therefore has a better defense, which could draw the Errors from Stefanos, which just did not happen yesterday.

No matter the result, i'm very looking forward to this. With 5000 spectators and a thriller, this could become very good!

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Given the clay season so far, this is the rigth Semi final.

Zverev hasn't been really tested yet, unlike Tsitsipas.

But I like the attidude of Zverev here. He was not really satisfied with the performance in the quarters, and there was almost no celebration. He wants it all.

Tsitsipas on the other hand looked gasses after that match against Medvedev.

I'm leaning towards Zverev.

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
When you look at his diabolical record vs. Top 10 or Top 20 players at slams, Zverev needed that US Open title a lot more than Thiem.
I know it didn't help Thiem (so far), but everybody is different, and winning it may have helped Zverev.
It's maybe due to the lack of Vodka, but I have to agree with this.

Zverev needs a big win and confidence, then he can be very dangerous. He and his peers seem to put a lot of pressure on him - if he wins a Slam, that monkey on his back is maybe gone.

·
justice for all
18,865 Posts
Impossible to predict, so I will try to do exactly that.

The main reason being Zverev. Dude is just unbelievable moody and he can go from total clowning to unplayable and back very fast and with no warning. His FH seems to improve and became a weapon, of course not as good as his opponent, but not a liability. BH is fantastic and if he was able to execute a coherent plan, he should pepper Tsitsipas worse side until it breaks. And it will break eventually as it always does.

So, from Tsitsipas point of view, he should take every chance to dictate with FH. Actually, I think he should be more aggressive than he is from that wing. I have a feeling that in today's coaching a lot of emphasis is put on percentages and "margins", restricting people with serious talent. We would never see Fed's FH today as it would be marked as too risky. So, go full Shapovalov and unleash it Stefanos.
All good points, I entirely agree. This match will probably be close and Stefanos has to play it differently compared to Medvedev match. No more BH to BH endless rallies but trying to dictate even more with his FH. He needs to protect his service games. Zverev has these lapses of concentration when he randomly loses his serve and that might be just enough to get through the finish line for Stefanos.

And BTW - it's nice to have some new rivalries on tour after the BIG3.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Given the clay season so far, this is the rigth Semi final.

Zverev hasn't been really tested yet, unlike Tsitsipas.

But I like the attidude of Zverev here. He was not really satisfied with the performance in the quarters, and there was almost no celebration. He wants it all.

Tsitsipas on the other hand looked gasses after that match against Medvedev.

I'm leaning towards Zverev.
I think this win was mentally exhausting and important for Tsitsipas. Medvedev through everything at him and he still managed to do what he’s struggled with in the last and ignore his tactics to get the job done. He also always looks a little gassed, I think he has what it takes to take out Zverev.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
They’re also playing for the #4 ranking, which would be a career high for Tsitsipas, for what it’s worth.
The winner will also have the higher career winning percentage. Somewhat impressive for Tsitsipas if he can overtake Zverev already despite being over 1 year younger. These percentages increase with age up to a point.

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
I said tsitsi in 4
what tough player has Zverev beat so far?
but obviously if AZ is in servebot mode, he could win.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
I'm banking on an even more undercooked Zverev than Tsitsi from the first set getgo in sheer difference in caliber between Fokina & Medved & why Tsitsi should swipe the first set, maintain intensity & await the brat's eventual implosion in longer rallys.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts