Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First spotted in December 1st in Wuhan, China; spreading crazy fast and already claimed 213 deaths and counting.

How scared should we be?

All the countries which share land border with China (Russia and co) closed theirs, flights to and from China are one by one being canceled by elite airline companies.

On one hand world is too shity a place that would be a good riddance if we all die (albeit not in pain) but on the other such a shame if tiny virus becomes the end of humanity. Always thought something more noble would make us extinct.

Discuss.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
And our government in HK still refuses to close the border with China. Everyone now doesn't go out on the street without wearing a face mask. All public facilities have been shut down. Employees are told to work from home. School has been suspended. It is spreading very fast in China and it is very worrying. I'm running out of face masks and other preventive supplies myself. Not sure what to do really.

·
Registered
10,380 Posts
First two cases recorded in the UK today 🤦

Two Chinese tourists in York. They now being treated at the hospital where I was born. Authorities in York are said to be trying to locate anyone who might have made contact with these two people. Good luck with that...

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
And our government in HK still refuses to close the border with China. Everyone now doesn't go out on the street without wearing a face mask. All public facilities have been shut down. Employees are told to work from home. School has been suspended. It is spreading very fast in China and it is very worrying. I'm running out of face masks and other preventive supplies myself. Not sure what to do really.
This is crazy.

I hope things will be ok

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,394 Posts

·
Registered
14,873 Posts
The common flu kills way more each year, don't sweat too much about this.

I know, it can spread crazily, but I don't think it will. It's being handled pretty well by health authorities all over the world, generally.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I see a lot of innecessary hysteria. About 3000 ppl die every January in Spain alone from common flu.
I remember reading a stat about how the flu kills over a 60,000 people in the US every year. That was shocking because you wouldn't think people die of flu but at the same time it put things in perspective. The media can be fear mongers at times.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Call me paranoid but it smells of a giant exercise of extreme population control by the Chinese goverment.

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
I remember reading a stat about how the flu kills over a 60,000 people in the US every year. That was shocking because you wouldn't think people die of flu but at the same time it put things in perspective. The media can be fear mongers at times.
It's not the flu itself, but complications and mostly other pre existing medical conditions.

·
Registered
62 Posts
So now the virus is not just in Wuhan, it has spread in every province of China. With so many Chinese tournaments, and the situation is getting worse by the day, I wonder what WTA is thinking.

·
justice for all
12,663 Posts
I think there’s no need to panic. Keeping the daily hygiene routine should be enough to avoid the infection. Authorities reacted quite well including in China and doing their best to prevent spreading the disease.

On the other hand on annual basis many times more people are dying every year from influenza or malaria and most people don’t give a fuck.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,394 Posts
The main concern is simply that it's "new". They don't really have complete information and control over it relative to your standard "flu", despite casualties. See the prognosis for HIV/AIDs in the 1980s relative to today. HIV/AIDs didn't simply get less serious, nor was it more serious in the 1980s. It was just that people didn't know how to handle it. The more information you have, the better equipped you are to deal with it.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts