Mens Tennis Forums banner

Do you agree with this ATP Finals reform proposal?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
48,160 Posts
I've been saying for years I'd have a top 10 best of 5 knockout event

Monday you have #10 vs #7 and #8 vs #9 Play-in matches

Tuesday you have #6 vs #3 and #4 vs #5, QF matches

Wednesday you have #1 vs whoever won from 10 vs 7 and then #2 vs 8 or 9, QF matches

Thursday you have a day off, maybe doubles or something

Friday you have SF's

Sat doubles

Sun Finals

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been saying for years I'd have a top 10 best of 5 knockout event

Monday you have #10 vs #7 and #8 vs #9 Play-in matches

Tuesday you have #6 vs #3 and #4 vs #5, QF matches

Wednesday you have #1 vs whoever won from 10 vs 7 and then #2 vs 8 or 9, QF matches

Thursday you have a day off, maybe doubles or something

Friday you have SF's

Sat doubles

Sun Finals
Yeah that 's another interesting iteration. About time the powers-that-be give a serious look at this once very prestigious event (it was huge in the 1980s till mid 1990s).. Needs to be rotated on yearly basis instead of handing long-term lease contracts..The sport is too global right now.

·
Rankings Master
15,782 Posts
Honestly, a thread about a WTF reform is made every year. This one is maybe a good proposal, truly combining Grand Slam Cup with Tour Finals, as it should have been back in 2000 (same number of player as in GSC, but a RR play first). Again though, we can only talk, nothing will probably change.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Honestly, a thread about a WTF reform is made every year. This one is maybe a good proposal, truly combining Grand Slam Cup with Tour Finals, as it should have been back in 2000 (same number of player as in GSC, but a RR play first). Again though, we can only talk, nothing will probably change.
I just want the event to be shaken up bit. The format has become dated and the whole thing is starting to fade in prestige compared to its heydays ('80s, '90s).

I think to me few steps are no brainer like injecting back the thrill of BO5 (at least the Final) and rotating it between bidding cities.The game and the world are too interconnected now for one city to hog what is essentually the ATP crown jewel event for a decade or so, much less when that venue/country has a Slam/M1000 as a fixture in the calendar .

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Personally I like it as the top 8 only, makes it feel more elite and prestegous. The only thing I would change is that I would make the final Bo5.
Yep! The BO5 format for finals was awesome for masters and WTF - would love to see it back. I also like top 8 and RR, look at all of the twists and turns this year - very exciting.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Round robin is what makes WTF special. Would suck to switch it to knockout.
Well...it is a knockout from the semifinal stage, currently. In the suggested reform, it will be a knockout from the quarterfinal stage, since there will be 4 groups instead of 2 groups.

·
Registered
21,699 Posts
Sounds like a solid idea but I have to agree with Chelsea that I do like the idea of just having an elite 8. I’m not convinced over rotating surfaces but the venue should definitely be rotated more often. It’s criminal that it has been in London for 11 years

·
Rankings Master
15,782 Posts
I just want the event to be shaken up bit. The format has become dated and the whole thing is starting to fade in prestige compared to its heydays ('80s, '90s).

I think to me few steps are no brainer like injecting back the thrill of BO5 (at least the Final) and rotating it between bidding cities.The game and the world are too interconnected now for one city to hog what is essentually the ATP crown jewel event for a decade or so, much less when that venue/country has a Slam/M1000 as a fixture in the calendar .
Even if it feels like it wasn't, the event did start with rotating between bidding cities. The first 7 editions happened in 7 different cities, before New York hogged it out until the creation of the ATP Tour. What drove it to this? Money, of course, once a city paid a fortune to host the event and invested in sufficient infrastructure, they could hold onto it until someone got bored or paid even more. The next 19 years, it's been to 6 locations, before landing in London for 12 years.

We are being too moral when deciding the format and location, but sponsors have a much bigger say than the public, because money talks.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
The idea of rotating surfaces is obviously bad. Having a clay or grass Tour Finals coming at the end of a long hard court season and with the AO warm-ups just around the corner would be ridiculous.

I would love to see a BO5 final though. I can understand why they eliminated this format in Masters events, but at the prestigious end-of-year event, with plenty of time for the players to recover, it makes perfect sense.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds like a solid idea but I have to agree with Chelsea that I do like the idea of just having an elite 8. I’m not convinced over rotating surfaces but the venue should definitely be rotated more often. It’s criminal that it has been in London for 11 years
London hogging it for more than decade despite having both Queens (500) and Wimbledon (Slam) is absolutely ridiculous. Too many economically big and cosmopolitan cities around the world don't even have a single ATP event (Chicago, Berlin, Amsterdam, Milan, Frankfurt, Seoul, Singapore etc..)

·
Registered
295 Posts
When would Nadal fans finally realize that Nadal never wins this event not because of format but simply because he sucks at indoors with his one-dimensional game?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts