1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eleni Daniilidou to #21
Alexandra Stevenson to #30
Elena Bovina to #34
Laura Granville to #51 (The old 'college try')

Code:
6099 01 Serena Williams
4843 02 Venus Williams
3759 03 Jennifer Capriati
3152 04 Monica Seles
3074 05 Jelena Dokic
2994 06 Justine Henin          I beat Serena in 2002
2908 07 Amelie Mauresmo
2680 08 Lindsay Davenport
2618 09 Kim Clijsters
2514 10 Martina Hingis
2423 11 Daniela Hantuchova
2003 12 Anastasia Myskina
1733 13 Chanda Rubin           I beat Serena in 2002
1722 14 Silvia Farina Elia
[s]1573 15 Sandrine Testud[/s]
1503 16 Elena Dementieva
1353 17 Patty Schnyder         I beat Serena in 2002
1349 18 Anna Smashnova
1254 19 Ai Sugiyama
1222 20 Tatiana Panova
1214 21 Eleni Daniilidou
1197 22 Lisa Raymond
1192 23 Magdalena Maleeva
1186 24 Nathalie Dechy
1162 25 Anne Kremer
1152 26 Amanda Coetzer
1138 27 Tamarine Tanasugarn
1096 28 Daja Bedanova
1094 29 Iva Majoli
1053 30 Alexandra Stevenson
1052 31 Paola Suarez
1020 32 Clarisa Fernandez
1017 33 Meghann Shaughnessy
1012 34 Elena Bovina
 979 35 Francesca Schiavone
 969 36 Anna Kournikova
 953 37 Barbara Schett
 945 38 Rita Grande
 909 39 Janette Husarova
 868 40 Iroda Tulyaganova
 867 41 Elena Likhovtseva
 852 42 Katarina Srebotnik
 851 43 Nicole Pratt
 824 44 Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario
 799 45 Svetlana Kuznetsova
 791 46 Amy Frazier
 789 47 Tina Pisnik
 755 48 Conchita Martinez
 731 49 Martina Sucha
 708 50 Marie-Gaianeh Mikaelian
 696 51 Laura Granville

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the ranking update Volcana!

This just proves players have to be able to mix it up against Serena if they want a chance to win. Power alone don't cut it at this point!

·
Registered
62,758 Posts
:D :D :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
anton - Serena has won six of her last seven tournaments. She defending Roland Garros, Wimbledon and US Open champion. She won the tour championships last year.

ANY win over her IS something to brag about. She's that good.

·
Registered
398 Posts
you have your opinion. i have mine.
Serena did not play her best in those 3 matches. and if so she would have curshed sll 3 girls. They did use some smart tactics to draw the errrors but I dont think chanda and justine and patty are bragging like that. they know who is their momma.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wow, that's really sad. The truth is Serena has accomplished more in the past 6 months than those three players have in their entire careers combined. And if beating Serena once this year is all they have to comfort themselves with, its sad. Really sad.

·
Registered
378 Posts
anton said:
you have your opinion. i have mine.
Serena did not play her best in those 3 matches. and if so she would have curshed sll 3 girls. They did use some smart tactics to draw the errrors but I dont think chanda and justine and patty are bragging like that. they know who is their momma.
Gee, I am sorry. I did not realize that you were god Anton. It must feel special when you are always right and you can be completely hypocritical at will without feeling disgusted at yourself. I thought Serena was going to loose: to Henin in straight sets, and to Natsya 7-6 in the third. I was also under the impression that Patty, Chanda, and Justine caught Serena on a normal day (which for her is about 75% of her abillity, not completely in the zone but not playing horribly), and used alot of different tactics (such as varying the pace, placement, and spin of the ball, keeping it deep, or coming to the net alot) to keep Serena guessing (something she obviously hates doing) and CAUSING the errors. Venus can't do it, so I would call that something to brag about. In the end, a win is a win. But like I said, that was before I realized that you must be god because you are always right and you know everything. GO ANTON!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
398 Posts
whatever, whatever!!

I'm not even going to get into a back and forth with you mboyle!
If I want to say serena will lose every match foreever whose business is it? mine! I was joking. Serena is not losing any match without a fight. this sjut gos to show that even this rankings thread is becoming a serena thread that she is the boss of the tour. But Venus will knock that Puma headband out of her "hair" in 2003.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
anton - While we differ on the significance of defeating Serena, I should point out that I, not they, put the "I beat Serena in 2002" after their names. None of those players is known as a braggart.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think some of you should get a bit of perspective... the point here is not what players are proud of, which we know nothing about (and even if we did, we would be in NO position to say whether that was sad or not). The point is that Serena is dominating the tour right now, so the one victory that stands out in any player's 2002 list of wins is defeating Serena.

Only those 3 can say that. Are they proud of it or bragging about it? who knows? who cares? maybe Patty would prefer a victory over AnnaK, but in the back of her mind, she knows something "I defeated Serena" - no matter what the score or weather conditions, she has objectively defeated the BEST player on tour, I am sure that's something on the back of her mind whenever she steps on court.

So I agree with Volcana. "I defeated Serena" is a big deal right now.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Hey i would still be happy about defeating the best player in the world whether she was playing like crap or not! It would still have given them a good feeling!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Experimentee said:
Hey i would still be happy about defeating the best player in the world whether she was playing like crap or not! It would still have given them a good feeling!

When Meghaan played Serena, Serena had to retire with an injury. When Patty and Justine beat Serena, she was ranked about 6 or 7 in the rankings. When Chanda beat Serena she was actually #1. The fact that only 3 women really "beat" Serena so far this year really says a lot more about Serena than it says about the three that have beat her. And that's saying they got lucky.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Was Chanda the only one to beat Serena while Serena was ranked #1? Because the best player in the world was not Serena when Justine and Patty beat her. I don't think this Juju or Patty are saying, "Wow I beat Serena Williams" because when they beat Serena, she was not the same player. In fact she didn't win RG, WIMBY or the USOpen yet. So imho the only player who can really say " Hey I beat Serena when she was the BEST would be Chanda Rubin". On hardcourt at that!:)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dawn, as a Venus fans it pains me to say this, but Serena has been better than Venus at least since Miami.

·
Registered
118 Posts
#17 - #25 spots are vulnerable, anyobdy could be on top or way on the bottom week in and week out! but all that matters is who will finish in that top 20 when the year ends, which i think matters the most!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
i agree that some of you need perspective - and of course you all seem to be americans. are you so tightly strung that you cannot allow a light hearted comment to be made, or are you so loyal to the williams sisters that you cannot stand the fact that serena has lost this year? in any case you seem to be the really sad one! nobody in their right mind would argue that patty, justine or chanda are better than serena, or was i reading it worng, did it say "I am better than serena", nor would anyone argue that serena was at her peak when she lost these matches. but you have to remember that tennis is a sport which goes all year, and even serena has to lose to a good player who is at their peak at some point. i am not a williams fan, but i think you should take a lesson from serena because she seems to have taken her loses much better than you have!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts