1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WTA Players Protest The Filderstadt Tournament

AP Filderstadt, Germany
Sep. 29, 2002 09:20 PM

In an unusual circumstance, Filderstadt tournament officials have cancelled the October 7th – 13th tournament, because most all of the players committed to play this tournament have withdrawn. It seems, that most of the players’ reasons for withdrawing are due to the same ailment.

They proclaim, that they are sick of showing up for a tournament –where the winner is almost predetermined and certain. They feel that because of this - they don’t want to invest the time and money needed when preparing for this tournament – because the odds are against anyone winning – besides the number one player – Ms. Serena Williams. They say that if Ms. Williams enters the tourney – then they will opt out.

This has been unusual and perplexing last six months for tournament officials. They are still investigating the circumstance and mysterious mishap that occurred in May of this year - where Ms. Venus Williams had to withdraw from the tourney in Hamburg, DE earlier this year due to a freak injury to her wrist. It appears there are several suspects in that case – and the investigation is on going. Someone placed bricks and mortar in Ms Williams’ suitcase, and her wrist was injured to the degree to where she could not play the tourney. Even her younger sister and the world number one, is a suspect in the case.

Ever since that incident – everyone has seen that the younger Ms. Williams has been on a serious run, and she has torn up the courts w/her fantastic play. She has won the last three Major & Grand Slam tournaments ova her sister, and many fans of the elder sister are confused as to why the elder sister’s serve has not been up to par. The officials feel that this is very suspicious indeed, and they are not quite sure what to do.

Meanwhile – the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix 2002 officials are scratching their heads and wringing their hands ova this one. They also will find themselves out of millions of dollars if the tournament is cancelled because they’ve had to beef up security – seeing that one of their own has been calling into headquarters to ask the question – “Is the Love of my life there yet?”

Needless to say – the tourney officials are beside themselves with worry, and they are at a loss on whether to call a news conference to plead to all the WTA players that threaten to quit the tourney to hang in there – or to ask Ms. Serena Williams to withdraw without a fine.

One player even went so far as to complain “Hasn’t Miss Thing won a car already this year? She doesn’t need a Porsche – but many of us do.”

The officials have one week to straighten all of the mess out – and so – they’ve called in BJK to help them squash the uprising.

Stay tuned for further details.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
The level of the WTA players is really dissapointing. How would they withdraw if a Williams is in the draw?????

This sucks:rolleyes:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Gogo - I love this story!
I am still laughing and at first I thought the story was legit until I read the bricks and mortar bit, which, I belive, is from a fictitious tale that I wrote when that incident occurred. I think that I fingered Anna's dad.

Good story and funny. :) LOL

·
Registered
16 Posts
One player even went so far as to complain “Hasn’t Miss Thing won a car already this year? She doesn’t need a Porsche – but many of us do.”

ROFLMAO at this bit!!:D

More of this kind of stuff please.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Does anyone knows wich players would withdraw??

·
Registered
248 Posts
Lol, this article is so fake it's hilarious! Since when to professionals use the word "ova" in place of "over"? And the Porsche thing is over the top! Anyway, hopefully the players will be competitive with Serena in Filderstadt at least.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I think the players who would slik this tournament IF Serena is playing, they should commit in the future only to tier V tournaments when they can win a tournament:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts