Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
10,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would people think about the use of artificial grass, instead of the real stuff used today?

Maybe not replacing Wimbledon grass courts, but a challenger or a 250 trying it out.

Some of the pros of artificial grass:
-You could control the speed of the court
-Possibly could control the "slipperiness" of the court
-It would be less likely to deteriorate into mud
-It could be replaced
-Less maintenance for the workers
-You could color it to look just the same as the real grass

Cons-
-It goes against long time tradition
-Players would probably complain about surface originally
-The Artificial surface itself may be more expensive than water and grass
-Would take away jobs from maintenance
-Possibility of uneven surfaces if they mess up the material.

These are just my thoughts, but what do you think?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I enjoy the "soft hard court" feel of synthetic grass, but dislike how deep balls and floaty slices tend to shoot off the surface uncontrollably. If that problem could be addressed then I'd love to see synthetic grass used on the ATP - preferably at the expense of hard courts, which we have far too many of. Wimbledon should always be played on natural grass.

·
~* Princess Karolina *~
174 Posts
Ive grown up playing on Synth grass (it is huge in Australia), our national tour has numerous tournaments with it. Even some 50k WTA ITFs still use it.

I would say no, I dont think its suitable for Pros

For a few reasons:
- Very uneven, almost every synth court has a different feel due to the inability to keep the sand in place
- High risk of injury, it is super slippery and to play a decent level you need to slide, courts very often get 'dry patches' where you can't slide on
- Not great tennis, its like playing on extremely fast clay. Movement is hard and you have less time, lots of hacking

·
Registered
472 Posts
I played a few times on it at a decent level and I believe there is no way pros can play on it without suffering serious injury quite easily.

It's super slippery, so unless you wear special shoes (like in football) then you have a hard time controlling your movement. Then, because it is so fast and in tennis you need to change directions so quickly, you put your knees and ankles at extreme risk. Then the moment you hit an uneven area, your foot gets stuck but the rest of your body doesn't.

If you want to speed up the game, why not use more Har-Tru courts in clay tournaments? Still lets you slide like clay, but perfectly safe and much faster, with a lower bounce. I grew up playing on them and they are easy on the body while keeping the game quick.

·
justice for all
13,106 Posts
It's a completely different surface compared to natural grass.

Also you would get different types of artificial grass not just one - like on hard.

But the maintenance would be much cheaper I believe so the owners might opt for it in the future.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Con: Very tough on the body. Sure, so are hardcourts but I doubt they would adopt another surface that is hard as rock.

For training heading into grass season, why not? I'm sure there are similarities enough.

·
Registered
335 Posts
100% artificial courts? No, never..

However, they should add 5-10% artificial grass to help improve the quality of the grass courts during the later parts of the tournament. It is pretty common to do so in football as well.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Yes I would support it if you could accurately replicate the surface and control conditions.

But I would rather see grass and clay done away with completely. Natural surfaces are old fashioned. They exist because a long time ago hardcourts did not yet exist. But natural surfaces are highly irregular and slippery. Now that we can modify hardcourts to create a wide range of playing conditions, I am in favor of getting rid of all natural surfaces. I still want to see variety with both low skidding surfaces and slow high bouncing surfaces, I just want to see it without uneven mud, dirt and sand.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Yes to fake grass especially in tournaments in China. :eek:h:

·
10,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know everyone is saying it's super slippery, but could they not control that?

Its 2019.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Each surface has its own pros and cons; furthermore, surprisingly, the playing strategy on one surface might not work on the other. I Think that for social and family matches, the syntethic grass court is one of the best options. The synthetic grass tennis court surface is similar to clay court (and, obviously, natural grass court) for its foot-friendliness. It is a soft surface that is gentler to your body. Furthermore, it is not that slippery as a natural grass court, which again is essential to prevent injuries.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts