• Sure, I support servebots anyway

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • No way, a bot is a bot

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Yes, even though I usually can't stand most bots

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • No, a short servebot would be even more annoying

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't pay attention to playing style when I decide who to support, so I'd be ambivalent

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suppose someone was about 176 cm tall, but his best asset by far was his serve. Can't return, can't sustain a rally past five shots. But instead of launching bombs like Isner, he used GOAT technique, placement, variety, and talent to dominate on serve. He uses the power in his legs to launch himself a mile above the court to create a tall-ish angle.

Would you support him more than other servebots?

·
Registered
57,608 Posts
Becker was a legitimate servebot back on the day. Injuries kinda killed his serve and the rest of his game improved. But it was incredibly impressive when he was- more so than his game is now. And he's what, 5'10?

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Roddick, while not short, had a serve disproportionate to his size.

·
12,691 Posts
Becker was a legitimate servebot back on the day. Injuries kinda killed his serve and the rest of his game improved. But it was incredibly impressive when he was- more so than his game is now. And he's what, 5'10?
Tipsarevic's was also so good for a player of his height.

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
Yeah, but it's not the same thing IMHO.

Becker has a good serve for his height, but he can't hold a set purely with serve like Isner or Karlovic can do it.

·
Registered
12,577 Posts
Yup good call on both.

·
Registered
57,608 Posts
True, but he was more well rounded in his prime and his serve was never as good as Becker's (plus he's an inch taller, isn't he?). But yeah, the way Tipsy's serve was it its best he probably could have been top 100ish if the rest of his game sucked.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Nope. All 3 variants of servebot (Height-bot: Isner/Karlovic, Power-bot: Raonic, Accuracy-bot: Federer) are equally as boring to watch imo.

·
12,691 Posts
True, but he was more well rounded in his prime and his serve was never as good as Becker's (plus he's an inch taller, isn't he?). But yeah, the way Tipsy's serve was it its best he probably could have been top 100ish if the rest of his game sucked.
Yeah true. Just checked. Becker is 178 cm. Janko is 180 cm.

·
12,691 Posts
But yeah it's pretty much impossible. Just no way. A 180 cm player can fluke a serveboting preformance between now and then but no way in hell that player reaches Isner/Raonic level in serveboting.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts