Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's twice that Sun Yang has been snubbed at the World Championships podium, with Mack Horton (AUS) deciding not to pose on the podium with him, calling him a drug cheat. This was followed up by a similar protest by Duncan Scott (GBR).

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/23/sport/sun-yang-duncan-scott-swimming-spt-intl/index.html

FINA is apparently taking a tough position though, saying any protesters could be banned or stripped of their medals.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/swimmers-face-bans-loss-of-medals-over-podium-protests-after-sun-yang-controversy

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Disgusting drug cheat. All swimmers should boycott him and let FINA decide what to do then. Guy can't control anger, obvious side effect from the drugs. I hope he's banned for life.

·
RAVE ON
18,242 Posts
Isn’t it more of a question of why he is allowed to compete? If he is allowed, then it is not his fault.

It seems he has a hearing in September. If he is found guilty of something, won’t his medals be taken back?

Of course, what seems to be an orchestrated social media barrage about insulting China, the motherland etc. is probably a good hint that he is cheating.

·
52,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Isn’t it more of a question of why he is allowed to compete? If he is allowed, then it is not his fault.

It seems he has a hearing in September. If he is found guilty of something, won’t his medals be taken back?

Of course, what seems to be an orchestrated social media barrage about insulting China, the motherland etc. is probably a good hint that he is cheating.
He was caught in 2014 but they gave him a 3 month suspension which is ludicrously lenient.

China kept it undercover for a good 6 months after the suspension.

Most recently he was said to have smashed two vials of blood with a hammer. To me that's as good as being caught cheating.

Mack Horton, one of the protesting swimmers made sure to beat him for gold in Rio but couldn't this time and took this stand. Funny thing is the second gold Sun won at this World Championships was only because the first placeholder got disqualified for jumping the gun (bit controversial the call). Sun still boasted to podium sitout Duncan Scott he was a "winner".

FINA wants to prevent such protests over political or religious grounds. I can't really call it a 'political' protest.

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
I wouldnt have stood on the podium with him. whats more disturbing to me is that Fina threatened to punish the protestors. that's disgusting. you only need to see this video to get an idea of what kind of person Yang is

·
52,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Does anyone know who you are targeting as "this kind of new poster"?

Just name names.
they (the threads) are since being deleted, thanks to our lazy but listening mods. just the threads containing virus and all, haven't you noticed?

I am all good with our tiny politics loving crowd

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Good riddance!... but in this world of 'appeals' and whatnot he'll probably find some way to slither back and be ready for Tokyo 2020.

It just shows how corrupt and spineless FINA is for this to go this far as they basicallly washed their hands of the whole affair.This guy has the same ruthless contempt for his peers as a drug cheat that Lance Armstrong had.

Sidelining him isn't enough.They need to strip him of his medals as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts