Mens Tennis Forums banner

Would you have preferred Tsitsipas being in the final over Zverev?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tsitsipas completely collapsing against Coric was the reason why Zverev made it to his first USO final, and I believe a final with Tsitsipas instead of Zverev would be more entertaining. The Head-2-Head between Thiem and Tsitsipas is also more even, and both of them both play more exciting games than Zverev's constant pushing.

·
Registered
200 Posts
YES. A final with Tsitsipas would have been WAY better.

Unfortunately Tsitsipas didn't seem to prepare well enough for USO. He was vacationing with his girlfriend in Mykonos and I think he's been distracted by his love life. Now when he loses he doesn't even seem to care and calls his loss "funny" on Twitter just minutes after losing to Coric, and then he goes cavorting around NYC with the gf for 3 days. I mean it's fine and he has every right to have his priorities but it is disappointing as a tennis fan because I loved watching him play up to his potential.

If Tsi had been preparing better he could have beaten Thiem in the final. The way he has been playing, though, he would've lost to Thiem in straight sets. Still, it would have been FAR more entertaining to watch than double fault king Zverev...although watching Zverev double fault at crucial points sometimes is entertaining in its own special horrible way.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
If this was the case that u claim about Tsitsi, then you’re dead right because Thiem is def. probably the most focused of all the contenders right now (no women or distractions that we know of) but as we saw at WTF, Tsitsi can certainly get the job done when he prioritises correctly & yes, that includes ability to knock out world no.1 so Thiem very fortunate to avoid him, instead facing a scrub.

·
Registered
66 Posts
As a German, I voted no, that I wouldn't. ;) But even aside from that, I do think that given their past results, Zverev deserves the Grand Slam final more than Tsitsipas. And anyway, Zverev managed to beat the same guy against whom Tsitsipas lost. And Zverev at least kept fighting in his matches, while Tsitsipas hit several match points in the sky over New York. Tsitsipas time in a slam final will come, but not this time.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Yes, indeed. Thiem vs Tsitsi would have been interesting. I hope Zverev puts at least some decent show and makes the final watchable.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
No, but I wouldn't disapprove certain "refinements" regarding Thiems final opponent either.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
well im an even bigger tsitsipas fan than Thiem so yes absolutely, but its nice to see two younger guys in the finals anyways

·
justice for all
18,023 Posts
Well, tough question for me. On one side I like Stef so a Domi - Stef final would guarantee a win by one of the players I support. On the other hand I evaluate Domi's chances slightly higher vs Zverev than vs Tsitsipas and since he's my favourite player the easier the opponent the greater the chance for Domi to win a slam. Damn, I'd take Hugo Dellien or Federico Coria as a preferred opponent in this final. ;)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Tsitsipas doesn't deserve to be in a slam final until he has a brain transplant (as Joey would say:)). But still the answer to this question is obvious just because Sverev's brand of tennis despite being effective, still is more boring than counting grains of sand.

·
Banned
21,055 Posts
obviously

·
Registered
9,482 Posts
Of course, he has only himself to blame. But, that can't prevent me from wishing for a different outcome. Tsitsipas is much more watchable than Zverev, especially in the latter's current form.
That said, none of the three is reliable enough to guarantee a memorable showing in the final. Any combination between these players can end up as a cracker or a dud with fairly similar probabilities.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Until he drop Theodora he won't play another final. That's it folks.

Envoyé de mon SM-N960F en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,364 Posts
Would've been more competitive and enjoyable for sure but Zverev earned it despite his seemingly lighter draw.

·
Your visions will happen
51,334 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts