Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
External factor expert
4,173 Posts
Maybe when I'm passed 60 with nothing to lose. I heard its delicious so I'm definitely going to try it once.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,604 Posts
Blowfish (or puffer fish) Japanese delicacy.
The primary toxin is tetrodotoxin, which is a sodium channel blocker with paralysing effect in large enough doses (and tasting it will feel a numbness in the mouth). However if prepared right by chefs, who remove the toxic components, it's right to eat.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nah. There plenty of tuna for everyone.

Ooh wait. You fooled me. You'd probably stick it somewhere and "blow" it you. You pervert.

I didn't say anything at all! ;). I, just curious since people are so thrilled with this blowfish dare, I thought I'd ask if you're up to a challenge :angel:

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Blowfish (or puffer fish) Japanese delicacy.
The primary toxin is tetrodotoxin, which is a sodium channel blocker with paralysing effect in large enough doses (and tasting it will feel a numbness in the mouth). However if prepared right by chefs, who remove the toxic components, it's right to eat.
The toxic substance can withstand even the harshest environmental conditions, and that includes extreme high temperatures.

We're not safe!

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,604 Posts
The toxic substance can withstand even the harshest environmental conditions, and that includes extreme high temperatures.

We're not safe!
Of course there's a certain degree of risk. But why do the Japanese insist and have a business of it?
Obviously there has to be some control and training of chefs who prepare it (at least 3 years apparently) and they have banned some parts of the fish which have the highest level of the toxin (liver)

·
Registered
26,128 Posts
I think I've seen about it in a "worlds most expensive foods" docu and thought I would love to eat it. I agree 60+ would be a good age to risk it.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I've seen about it in a "worlds most expensive foods" docu and thought I would love to eat it. I agree 60+ would be a good age to risk it.
They (Japanese wildlife researchers) were able to cultivate a blowfish that doesn't contain this toxic material. This toxic compound is the algae they eat in the sea.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts