Mens Tennis Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Yes, so a 2-1 H2H lead isn't that significant and current AO center court is even faster than Dubai or Cincy/Shanghai.
Define "faster".
By tennis game speed measure courts in Cincy and generally in USA are much faster than Australian courts - because the speed of courts is not just how much of a ball speed is getting lost at contact, but also factors in the height of a bounce. Because higher bounce allows flatter - meaning - faster shots and game.
You never noticed that AO type of tennis is much more tactical and maneuvering, with longer rallies, than US hardcourts game, which is much more of bashing, hit-for-winners game? Because higher bounce allows for much safer, faster, flatter groundstrokes than Australian courts.
US hardcourts is - in terms of average ball speed during the game - the fastest game around.
US Open often allowed super aggressive players like Del Potro or Cilic to win. While AO has always been a land where best returners in the game prospered. Like Agassi or Djokovic.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Tsitsipas would do about as well as Karatsev did in the semis.

You are forgetting who was across the net this morning. Djokovic in the finals on RL is on a completely different level.

The only person (other than earlier versions of Novak himself) in the history of AO who would have had a chance of winning today is 2012 Rafa. Maybe. That's about it.
Yep, back when the energiser bunny was in full swing, running down balls for up to six hours. Could only see a vintage Warwinka challenging no.1 like when they used to have the best HC rallies.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It's difficult to say if he would have managed to win more games, but I think to Novak he's less of a threat than Medvedev. His return is pretty shitty and even mental and physical side of his game is far from convincing. On a good day Tsitsipas can play very good tennis, but it doesn't happen often. Against focused in-form Novak he doesn't stand a chance.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
No. If done in straights you lose the right to even entertain the idea.

·
Registered
19,670 Posts
Define "faster".
By tennis game speed measure courts in Cincy and generally in USA are much faster than Australian courts - because the speed of courts is not just how much of a ball speed is getting lost at contact, but also factors in the height of a bounce. Because higher bounce allows flatter - meaning - faster shots and game.
You never noticed that AO type of tennis is much more tactical and maneuvering, with longer rallies, than US hardcourts game, which is much more of bashing, hit-for-winners game? Because higher bounce allows for much safer, faster, flatter groundstrokes than Australian courts.
US hardcourts is - in terms of average ball speed during the game - the fastest game around.
US Open often allowed super aggressive players like Del Potro or Cilic to win. While AO has always been a land where best returners in the game prospered. Like Agassi or Djokovic.
I don't define faster, but DecoTurf in years 2015-19 wasn't as fast as in 1995-2014. In fact, it was the slowest historically.
Djokovic is not a bad fast hardcourt player at all, he didn't meet Murray at USO after 2012, but I am sure he'd have been able to beat him there.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I don't define faster, but DecoTurf in years 2015-19 wasn't as fast as in 1995-2014. In fact, it was the slowest historically.
Djokovic is not a bad fast hardcourt player at all, he didn't meet Murray at USO after 2012, but I am sure he'd have been able to beat him there.
Didn't he beat andy in USO 2014 in 4 sets?

·
Registered
19,670 Posts
Didn't he beat andy in USO 2014 in 4 sets?
Yes, you are right, I totally forgot that one somehow. Sorry for the blackout
Even then, it wasn't a memorable win, because Murray was still coming back after the back surgery, it took him a whole season to reach his 2013 level again.

Reactions: WhatdidIdo

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Tsitsipas is more tired than Medvedev was. So no, he is done after beating Rafa.

If Tsitsipas is fully fit he is better than Medvedev on hard courts currently.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Medvedev is so happy to be playing with the big boys that he doesn't mind when they beat them up and steal his lunch money.

Literally anybody with a backbone would have done better in that final.

·
Registered
19,242 Posts
Generelly speaking would have said even, since he would have been dead tired I thought there's zero chance, but since Medvedev imploded, unlikely as it is, Tsitsipas probably would have had to do better.

No way he loses 2 and 2.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
All these ‘expert prognosticators’ never admitting the no.1 not allowing opponents to find any real rhythm over 3 sets on his most comfortable court. In AO20, Novak simply got complacent nearing middle of second set letting Thiem creep in & then got back to the basics by the fourth.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts