Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Yes, might have won a set as well. Think Djokovic would have came more relaxed and not so focussed against Tsitsi. Against Med he felt he needed to be at the top of his game from the get go. He took Med as serious threat (don't think against Tsitsi he would have felt the same). Pity Med went awol after first set.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Novak was not easily beatable today, if Medvedev couldnt even take a set, I think Novak was gonna take this anyway.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Tsitsipas would do about as well as Karatsev did in the semis.

You are forgetting who was across the net this morning. Djokovic in the finals on RL is on a completely different level.

The only person (other than earlier versions of Novak himself) in the history of AO who would have had a chance of winning today is 2012 Rafa. Maybe. That's about it.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
No, the time has come and he's in red-hot form. This guy 👇 is ready to carry the torch.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I highly doubt Tsitsipas would have faired better, but it is a mute point anyway since he lost convincingly to Medvedev.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Tsitsipas would do about as well as Karatsev did in the semis.

You are forgetting who was across the net this morning. Djokovic in the finals on RL is on a completely different level.

The only person (other than earlier versions of Novak himself) in the history of AO who would have had a chance of winning today is 2012 Rafa. Maybe. That's about it.
I'm sure Wawrinka would've had a decent chance. As would've peak Federer(i.e 04-07)

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
More important is: would Federer have done better. I think so, Djokovic so lucky...
Federer did the best thing he could; stayed home and avoided humiliation and corona lockdown.

Would have done better? LOL

Djokovic "lucky"? LOL

Nothing else needs to be added for another delusional Fedtard post. The most senile fan base ever.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Of course he would.
There is just one thing that threatens Djokovic on hardcourts, and that's speed. Medvedev's game is simply too slow to threaten Djokovic on this surface. Tsitsipas on the other hand has much more pace.

This is a really matter of a draw.
Of all players in bottom half Tsitsipas is the worst matchup for Djokovic, easily. But chances of Tsitsipas getting through two very bad matchups of his own in Nadal and Medvedev were not great. Medvedev has always been odds on to make finals from bottom half, and that made Djokovic's chances even greater. Drawing a meekly Zverev and Karatsev and having an extra day of rest just sealed it.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Worst thing is that Medvedev pretty much gave up once Djokovic broke back at the start of the second set.

I think Tsitsipas would have kept the faith a bit longer, but also think Tsitsipas is a better match up for Djokovic and no one was beating him today.

·
Registered
19,673 Posts
Of course he would.
There is just one thing that threatens Djokovic on hardcourts, and that's speed. Medvedev's game is simply too slow to threaten Djokovic on this surface. Tsitsipas on the other hand has much more pace.
Djokovic can handle that space. There is one thing he historically couldn't handle that well: power coupled with accuracy, but that was Wawrinka and only in 2014-15 at AO.

This is a really matter of a draw.
Of all players in bottom half Tsitsipas is the worst matchup for Djokovic, easily. But chances of Tsitsipas getting through two very bad matchups of his own in Nadal and Medvedev were not great. Medvedev has always been odds on to make finals from bottom half, and that made Djokovic's chances even greater. Drawing a meekly Zverev and Karatsev and having an extra day of rest just sealed it.
While Medvedev also played a 5 setter, but apart from that he spent much less time on the court overall, having had some real favorable matchups, so this "matter of the draw" nonsense cannot get even more sillier than it already is.
Medvedev had ideal conditions coming into the final and he failed big time.
Nadal or Tsitsipas might have suffered an even bigger beatdown, considering their hardcourt game at the moment.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
If by better you mean lose a bit tighter, maybe - but Djoker still lifts the title in the end.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Djokovic can handle that space. There is one thing he historically couldn't handle that well: power coupled with accuracy, but that was Wawrinka and only in 2014-15
Just to make sure that reading comprehension is on, it was "pace" not "space". And "pace" in tennis is exactly power with accuracy.
Tsitsipas has got the biggest forehand in the top game and is leading their head to head with Djokovic on outdoor hardcourts for a reason, don't you think?

·
NAPRED NOLE
1,716 Posts
As if there is any doubt, but this fast hardcourt is probably on par with the conditions in Paris in 2019, where the great Greek hope won all of 3 games..

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Federer did the best thing he could; stayed home and avoided humiliation and corona lockdown.

Would have done better? LOL

Djokovic "lucky"? LOL

Nothing else needs to be added for another delusional Fedtard post. The most senile fan base ever.
Seems like you don't know me well enough. I will elaborate. My post was a way of saying who cares, who knows to the OP.

·
Registered
19,673 Posts
Just to make sure that reading comprehension is on, it was "pace" not "space". And "pace" in tennis is exactly power with accuracy.
Tsitsipas has got the biggest forehand in the top game and is leading their head to head with Djokovic on outdoor hardcourts for a reason, don't you think?
Sorry for making that ridiculous mistake, of course I meant pace. I referred to this earlier in the thread when I wrote that Tsitsipas had more game, but how that translates to Bo5 is something we haven't experienced yet.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Seems like you don't know me well enough. I will elaborate. My post was a way of saying who cares, who knows to the OP.
Alright, that flew over my head.

It is just so much Fed this Fed that when he's not even on the continent never mind the tournament.

Apologies.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Tsitsipas had tight 3-set victories over Djokovic in Shanghai and Canada, while losing easily in straight sets in Dubai. So while "leading their head to head on outdoor hardcourts" is technically true, you're making it sound much more significant than it really is.

Either way, none of those courts come even close to AO finals at RLA. Djokovic is a completely different beast there, as Medvedev just found out.

·
Registered
19,673 Posts
Tsitsipas had tight 3-set victories over Djokovic in Shanghai and Canada, while losing easily in straight sets in Dubai. So while "leading their head to head on outdoor hardcourts" is technically true, you're making it sound much more significant than it really is.

Either way, none of those courts come even close to AO finals at RLA. Djokovic is a completely different beast there, as Medvedev just found out.
Yes, so a 2-1 H2H lead isn't that significant and current AO center court is even faster than Dubai or Cincy/Shanghai.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Yea maybe. Bigger game. But This is becoming a trend with Med. Hes really laying some eggs in these finals. Yes, Novak is HC GOAT but there is NO EXCUSE to at least not make the damn match compoetitive considering Novak has been around since 2007 reaching finals. yeesh EPIC FAIL

21 - 40 of 53 Posts