Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering how defeated and given up Meddy looked after the second set, would Tsitsipas have fared better? Considering how he nearly came from 2 sets down against Djokovic at Paris, and beat Nadal from 2 sets down, and how he tried to come back in the third against Medvedev.

Suppose, hypothetically, Tsitsipas had managed to beat Medvedev in straight sets after the Nadal match, would a fresh Tsitsipas have done better than Medvedev(possible chance to win like Thiem was last year), or would he have fared the same, if not worse.

·
11,156 Posts
Not for me. No

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Maybe Djokovic would have underastimated him a little and wouldn´t have come up with that high level from the start, but as much as I like Tsitsipas, I doubt he would have taken it to 5 like Thiem last year. Maybe Zverev in the final would have made it more competitive

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Maybe yes....Maybe not

Reactions: Joe Speedboot

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Stylistically better to watch but doubt it would go over 3-4 sets w/ no change in winner. Tsitsi still too young & inexperienced to challenge the AO GOAT in Melbourne.

·
Administrator
9,551 Posts
Guess it wouldn’t have been as dreadful as Medvedev’s 2nd and 3rd set performance, but he wouldn’t have been able to change much on the outcome. 4 sets maybe

Reactions: MWW and Phillo

·
NAPRED NOLE
1,716 Posts
Would have been even easier, these young guys keep screaming for respect but do nothing on the court to warrant it.

·
Registered
19,670 Posts
Not much different outcome, it would have been his 1st slam final, he would have shat his pants just like Med did.
That he could have a bit more game for Djokovic wouldn't matter as he would have won max. 1 set.

·
Registered
17,775 Posts
He wouldn't have imploded. He would have still lost in 3 or 4. There is no variety to Medvedev's game; he only had Plan A (serve well and grind points), and when that didn't work, he became erratic. Tsitsipas has much more variety and could have played differently when pinned against the wall.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Anybody in the top 100 would've given a better showing. Medvedev crapped himself unfortunately. Mentally done before a ball was hit.

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
I see many similarities between the Tsitsipas-Medvedev's semi and the final. Both underdogs went in pretty confident in their game thinking this time around things might end up differently. And soon enough realized they were in for an uphill battle. They tried to stay competitive for a set and a bit and after that the belief was gone. Surely, Tsitsipas didn't implode, even attempted a mini comeback (aided by Meddy's temporary loss of focus), but he knew that ultimately it wouldn't matter. He didn't have the same energy as a player with proper faith exudes. He accepted his fate rather quickly, just like Daniil today.

Tsitsipas has more variety, and that's where Medvedev was hurting the most. So in that aspect, perhaps he could have posed a bigger challenge. But, both his serve and his return are inferior to BS Russian's. I just can't think of a way for him to counter Djokovic's servebotting and returnbotting effectively.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
More important is: would Federer have done better. I think so, Djokovic so lucky...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts