Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to many MTFtards (aka Nadal haters), the surfaces today are so slow. Yet a servebot like Raonic is no.6 and still climbing (which negates that theory). So if a servebot like Raonic can rank so high on slow surfaces, does that mean that Raonic would be no.1 in the 90's? Discuss.

·
Registered
449 Posts
According to many MTFtards (aka Nadal haters), the surfaces today are so slow. Yet a servebot like Raonic is no.6 and still climbing (which negates that theory). So if a servebot like Raonic can rank so high on slow surfaces, does that mean that Raonic would be no.1 in the 90's? Discuss.
Yeah....who was that Pete Sampras fella anyway.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Raonic would hold every serve but I'm not sure if he could break Pete either. Milos would have done a lot of damage back then before they slowed things down dramatically by the time Federer came.

·
Banned
355 Posts
Your biggest mistake is comparing RaoDic to Pete Sampras.
THen start playing tennis yourself and beat him, its always safe to be a keyboard warrior, no? I bet the man would triple bagel you.

·
Banned
355 Posts
No, and actually Raonic is a better player in slower surfaces (clay, slow hard).
Thats a lie, he plays the best in medium speed courts... but he doesnt seem to have problems playing in any surface regardless of speed.

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
Thats a lie, he plays the best in medium speed courts... but he doesnt seem to have problems playing in any surface regardless of speed.
Well, he can beat lower ranked players and can take advantage of a weak draw in any surface, he proved this in Wimbledon.

But it was in slower surfaces he usually gives a little more trouble to the top players. His best matches against the top guys this year were in Indian Wells, Miami and Rome, all slow surfaces.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Can't believe people are comparing Raonic to Phillipoussis, never mind Sampras

Serve alone does not win you a Grand Slam

Thee's been one exception to that rule in history, and one alone i.e Ivanisevic in his later years

Raonic does not have the return, forehand, backhand or movement to be a slam winner

Phillipoussis had a forehand, a backhand and decent volleys as well as the monster serve

Sampras had every shot in the book

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Every time I log on here I find threads that hit new lows. People here don't even follow tennis if they're asking questions like this.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Of course Raonic wouldn't be number one. And no, Raonic being no.6 does not in any way negate the theory that court speeds are slowing down.

Raonic's serve is already fast enough that it wouldn't even matter that much if courts were faster. On the other hand Raonic is still pretty weak defensively because of his slow movement, which only becomes a bigger problem for him as surface speed increases.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Of course Raonic wouldn't be number one. And no, Raonic being no.6 does not in any way negate the theory that court speeds are slowing down.

Raonic's serve is already fast enough that it wouldn't even matter that much if courts were faster. On the other hand Raonic is still pretty weak defensively because of his slow movement, which only becomes a bigger problem for him as surface speed increases.
I don't think Fed would've broken Milos on the 90s grass like he did this year unfortunately.

On the 90s grass, Milos could afford to take 2% off his first serve but still hit nothing but aces.
-----------------------------
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014/06/30/the-history-defining-characteristics-and-masters-of-grand-slam-tennis-court-surfaces/

"Historic changes Since 2001, the courts have been sown with 100% rye grass. Previously, the courts used a combination of 70% rye grass and 30% creeping red fescue. In 2009, Centre Court was fitted with a retractable roof."

“I was told that they sprinkle a very fine dusting of clay on the court to help the grass fibres stand up. But in actual fact, they have added a clay element. And clay means slower. In my day, if you rifled a ball on the baseline, it was over. Now, it comes up and you can hit it back.” — Fauquier

We've seen the higher bounce illustrations as well the last few years.

Not just the wicked speed would've hurt Fed but the height as well. Players are taller now which makes it harder to get down properly
Nadal refuses to bend at all anymore LOL.
Milos wouldn't lose a service game, Nadal wouldn't win a game.
Too bad the change came when Pete was on his way out...he probably would have straight-setted Fed on the real grass, the grass he was used too.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Why do you even need to ask, such blasphemy! Of course Papa Sampras would be No.1 for a while and hand over the baton to Baby Sampras. NID book it :baby:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts