Mens Tennis Forums banner

Would Rafa trade his Olympic Gold for another Slam title?

• He would trade it, but only for AO title, to get Double Career Slam

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • He would trade it, but only for RG title, to get to 13 titles there

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know that Olympics only come around once every 4 years, and an Olympic gold is cherished by many players since it's so rare, and it's also not just an individual accomplishment, but something you do for your country. Nole, for example, has made it clear many times that it means a lot to him.

I think we would all agree that players with 1-3 slams (Roddick, Ivanisevic, Murray) would most likely not trade their slam for an Olympic Gold, and vice-versa, players that have an Olympic Gold but no slams would most likely trade it for a Slam title. But what about the players that have an abundance of Slam titles AND the Olympic Gold already in their resume?

There's only one such player. Rafa has the individual Olympic Gold in his trophy room. Do you think, given an opportunity, he would trade that gold for a Slam title? And if so, which one?

·
justice for all
15,141 Posts
Openly he wouldn’t admit it but I think he would trade if no one were to find out about it.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
He probably would trade because the media and fans are still mostly slamtards who value the players by their achievements at slams.

But if he listens to his heart only and ignore the slamtards, he wouldn't trade OG even for multiple slams.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Get yourself jobs, guys. It is a pointless exercise to scratch heads, when a player cannot trade one title for another title.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get yourself jobs, guys. It is a pointless exercise to scratch heads, when a player cannot trade one title for another title.
Says the guy who also said:

If 2 grand slams were played on clay, 1 grand slam on hardcourt, and 1 grand slam on grass, Rafa would have 28 or 29 grand slams (12X2 + 5/2 + 2 = 24+2.5+2 = 28/29).
LOL.

What else is there to do on these forums? Indian Wells is still more than a month away, and the endless GOAT debates have become quite tiresome to be honest.

·
Registered
730 Posts
He would trade. Sure of it. Roger is deified without a gold in singles. Novak doesn’t have one. Lots of the big names, male and female don’t. When Rafa won his, commentators questioned at the time how much it meant to him or other players over slams. Someone like Dementieva might say it means as much or more, but not the big slam winners.

·
|
14,968 Posts
After only just squeaking by with tiebreakers at this Australian Open Thiem appears to have no physical edge over Rafa, despite being 7 years younger, so I don't see Thiem ever beating Rafa at Roland Garros.
And Rafa will win WImbledon if Djokovic or Federer slip-up (actually even if Djokovic doesn't slip-up, Rafa can beat him at Wimbledon based on their 10-8 5-setter in 2018), and of course the US Open is always a big chance for Rafa.
No point wasting an Olympic Gold when you can win slams everywhere....

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After only just squeaking by with tiebreakers at this Australian Open Thiem appears to have no physical edge over Rafa, despite being 7 years younger, so I don't see Thiem ever beating Rafa at Roland Garros.
And Rafa will win WImbledon if Djokovic or Federer slip-up (actually even if Djokovic doesn't slip-up, Rafa can beat him at Wimbledon based on their 10-8 5-setter in 2018), and of course the US Open is always a big chance for Rafa.
No point wasting an Olympic Gold when you can win slams everywhere....
Fair point. If he passes Federer and ends up with slam count record anyway, then I guess he would want to keep his OG as well. I guess I should have asked "If Rafa retired today, would he trade his OG for another Slam title?" instead.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
No.

As much as Federer and Djokovic fans don't rate gold medals, it's pretty clear the players do massively.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts