Mens Tennis Forums banner

Would Novak trade his last 18 months for Stan's?

• Yes

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • No

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • He'd trade an AO for RG if that was an option, but he'd never trade away his Wimbledon

Votes: 9 25.0%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think Novak would trade his last 18 months (Wimbledon, AO) for Stan's (AO, RG)?

I personally think he wouldn't trade - yes, Stan has the long-coveted RG, but Novak has Wimbledon, WTFs, and way more M1000s. Plus it's not like this was his last chance at RG himself.

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
Um obviously? Same number of Slams but getting the elusive FO trophy. Masters and WTF are nice gravy but no truly great player would trade them for the chance of completing a Career Slam, no way.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Do you think Novak would trade his last 18 months (Wimbledon, AO) for Stan's (AO, RG)?

I personally think he wouldn't trade - yes, Stan has the long-coveted RG, but Novak has Wimbledon, WTFs, and way more M1000s. Plus it's not like this was his last chance at RG himself.
Right but I've never rated the GRANDSLAM. If Novak wants it fair enough. But it's not an essential element to Tennis immortality.

TWO TENNIS GODS NEVER DID THE SLAM.

BJORN BORG
PETE SAMPRAS.

Yet they're in the top 5 players of ALLTIME. Novak just needs to keep working hard. And stay focused and he will be right up there with them in the next 4--5 years. I think we put too much focus on just slams nowadays.

I was listening to a TV presenter the other day, and they were talking about Serena winning her 20th slam. And Martina Navratilova was in the studio. And a member of the public had tweeted title number 67 for Serena only 100 titles behind Martina now. 100 TITLES.

What I'm saying here is to evaluate the greatness of a tennis players career. It should come down to more than just slam count. For Example McEnroe HAS 7 SLAMS to his name. But this legend won 77 titles in his career and 71 doubles titles. That combined is more than all the other legends of the open era. To me that makes him a TOP 15 player ALLTIME EASILY.

So if Novak ends up with say 11 slams. He will be in a tie with Borg. Who is Number 5 ALLTIME. To separate them you then have to look at what else they achieved. So Borg was only world number 1 for 109 weeks. And won 64 titles.

If DJokovic has say 80 titles (INCLUDING 30 plus masters) and 250 plus weeks at number one. He has had a more successful career than Borg. And deserves to replace him as number 5 player ALLTIME.

And that's how I see it panning out over the next 4--5 years...

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
If he trades he gets:

4 AOs in a row + Career Slam.

He loses:

Wimbledon - the most prestigious slam for him by his admission and his overall resume would read 5-1-1-1.

I think he'd consider the trade given how much importance he's given to the FO in the last few years.

·
Banned
858 Posts
Hell no...Guy won 8 (!!!!) masters, WTF and had 2 additional finals. Career slam is great thing to achieve, but greatness is also measures by consistency.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Nothing tops beating Roger at the Wimbledon final, playing great tennis both and producing one of the best Wimbledon finals in recent years. Best match of last season...And regaining the #1 along the way.

Nothing tops that. :D

As I was crying yesterday, I kept saying to myself: "But we'll always have 2014 Wimbledon". :D

I wonder if Roger fans cried that day as I did yesterday. Probably not: he has 7 Wimbledon titles... What's one more?

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
AO for RG, but the whole 18 months? No way. I'm sure he knows and has been told he will have another shot at RG. Hope he gets one next year. 12th time's a charm.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
No, becoming the AO goat and a dual Wimbledon champion was more important.
He'd still have an AO...just AO 2014 and not AO 2015...

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Highly unlikely that Novak would trade his Wimbledon trophy, his AO history , Paris/MC double, WTF/IW /Rome triple, 5 th Miami, weeks at No 1, for Wawrinkas achievments.
But, hey we are on MTF , those types of questions are expected after RG.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts