• No, he'll skip it

Votes: 11 55.0%

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Make no mistake, Rafa's domination of RG is one of the most impressive records in tennis. Only beaten once by legend Soderling.

Rafa who's had a fair share of injuries is always healthy at RG. So if he's not would he still play it or would he prefer to preserve his almost unbeaten image?

Discuss!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I have no doubt he would play. And he would spartan his way through a few rounds, after which he would lose an epic five-setter to complete his legend. Because that's what he really lacks in Paris, an epic loss.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no doubt he would play. And he would spartan his way through a few rounds, after which he would lose an epic five-setter to complete his legend. Because that's what he really lacks in Paris, an epic loss.
What? Wasn't R4 2009 loss to Soderling epic enough?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Nadal missed the whole clay season in 2004 after pulling out of Estoril QF(Indoor hard then) with a foot issue....

Note that he'd already beaten Federer in Miami that year....

I'm pretty sure he' miss clay too, if he's even the slightest issue with foot/knee etc....

But 04/05 was the last season he really played the South American Clay Swing/Post Wimbledon clay swing etc....

Since then meat of his season has been in the spring, means he misses chunks of time the rest of the year....

·
Registered
10,402 Posts
Haven't you heard? Healthy Nadal is unbeaten. So yes, he's played RG injured.

·
Your visions will happen
47,141 Posts
He has already played RG injured on more than one occasion

·
Banned
9,577 Posts
Dull would definitely skip it. He'd rather preserve his meaningless H2H and records rather than fight like a man. It's why he took 7 months off for his last injury when it was healed in half the time. He was merely afraid.

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
2009 is your answer. He wasn't healthy back then. Again, it all depends on the injury. All professional athletes feel pain most of the time, it's the severity of it and the risks you take by playing through it that decides skipping a match/tournament or not.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
He was injured in 2009, healthy Nadal unbeaten no?

·
Your visions will happen
47,141 Posts
Which occasions?
2014 in the final he clearly pulled the back on that overhead late in the 4th but otherwise looked ok to me.

2013 he was on infiltrations the entire year

2012 the foot was numb, especially in the SF vs. Ferrer

2009 he was clearly not right

2004 he missed the tournament with injury

2003 he missed the tournament with injury

2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, he was healthy, but he could have easily been playing with painkillers those years also

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Rafa has played many other slams injured including many Wimbledons and AOs...

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
2014 in the final he clearly pulled the back on that overhead late in the 4th but otherwise looked ok to me.

2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, he was healthy, but he could have easily been playing with painkillers those years also
I remember when I had this injury, it was awful. There's literally isn't a worse feeling than clearly being not right.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts

Eating so many bagels certainly doesn't make you any good.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
He would obviously skip. He faked an injury that took him off the tour for months after he lost to Soderling. Wouldn't risk a similar humiliation again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts